• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pics of my baby and my plans for the future of it.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Okay for pics I do not know how to embed pics into the post but I put them all in an album with some notes if you click on these words here

So I am no longer taking the words of the old owner. He said the engine was rebuilt and the transmission was replaced less then 10k miles ago. There is 106k miles on it now and 4k are mine. I looked up carfaqs and nothing since 77k miles. I tried emailing him and calling him asking him for proof and I get return emails saying it can't be delivered and calling yields an out of service number. Don't worry title etc is legit DMV proved it.

So the tranny has like NO issues. So I have no plans to tinker with the stock automatic tranny. Which is fine cause I do NOT plan on lifting, off roading, or doing anything TOO insane.

The engine. Besides load clacking from the valves and the shot AC unit I am not 100% sure on but I figure for now it works and you don't fix what's not broken. But I am saving up for a new engine. This one is the one my uncle's mechanic said he would end up getting if I need it. unless he finds a better one and with work etc it would be about $1500 for full removal and install.

The body. I plan to try and get the dents and dings out and get the hatch replaced with one that has a rear windshield wiper. That is my ONLY complain since I live in Oregon and where I work there is a super talcum powder like dust that killed rain X in 2 weeks... So as for paint...The top was spray painted poorly and the wrong color. So I am looking into a full body vinyl wrap. I want to keep the 2 tone look so I think if I go that route I want to dark grey with the ford/pepsi can blue metallic. MAYBE dark purple instead cause I like dark purples. Which means...

The interior. I will redo everything dark grey or black. Seats I will cheat and use seat covers. Dash I want to stretch naugahyde over it. MAYBE the head liner too but I think that's overboard and I will just use a simple fabric. Floors I will redo the carpets as well. Keep the artificial wood on the dash. Spray paint the plastic and the metal to match.

I don't want to add a SUPER sound system etc but one I can plug my phone into for my spotify is all I desire. No window tinting. I can't really think of much more I need. Oh new sun visors. New bug shield on the hood, I can't remember the actual name of it, and rain guards on the doors and mine does not have the runner boards on the sides I MAY see if I can get at an auto yard. Nothing luxurious. I had thoughts of adding some lights etc but I think I just want it to look nice, sound nice, and most importantly of all last me as long as possible.

So any feedback I am MORE then willing to hear. You guys have given me super solid advise on many things in the 2 posts I have posted so I am always open to hear more.

Oh and due to the story of how I got her and what she's put me through and the fact she seems to run better when it is playing on the radio or from a CD I have Dubbed her The Crazy Train.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It looks like a great starting point.

I would not spend a grand on a used 2.9 though. You could buy a running/driving truck around here for a grand and know what you are getting and get a lot of you money back scrapping what you don't need (or putting the noisy engine in the donor truck and reselling it as having a noisy engine)

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
My last B2 had a new Jasper longblock installed in it months before I bought the whole truck for $300. Not sure what those cost to buy new through a parts store these days but I will say that thing ran like a brand new vehicle for thousands of miles before i 5.0 swapped it for more power.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't even notice it said used engine. Thought it would have been a new block or something. I'll shop around and see what I can find for a replacement. Would love to afford a new one but don't think that would fall in my budget plan.

kaidenshi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I didn't even notice it said used engine. Thought it would have been a new block or something. I'll shop around and see what I can find for a replacement. Would love to afford a new one but don't think that would fall in my budget plan.
FWIW, I went with a used 2.9L engine from http://www.lowmileageparts.com/ for my '88 BII, I went with them because they offered a no-questions-asked 30 day return and a 5 year warranty. It was about $800 shipped and ended up in much better shape than I expected. The timing cover was damaged from someone cutting off mounts with a grinder, the fuel rail was rusted and pitted, and the exhaust manifolds were rusted to the heads. I reused the timing cover and fuel rail from my original engine, and I managed to get the manifolds off without damaging the heads.

All of that was expected on a 30 year old JY pull, but I was absolutely floored by how good the inside of the engine looked. It was clean as a whistle under the valve covers and oil pan, it looked like it had never seen more than 1000 miles. It actually had 30k miles on it according to the seller, and it was pulled from a 1986 but was a drop in replacement for my '88. I was actually happy I'd gotten a 1986 engine because I could use the larger throttle body it came with. Of course, I replaced the oil and water pumps with new units and only reused bolt on parts from either engine if they were in really good condition.

Long story short, as long as you research and find a reputable parts seller, a used engine can be just fine, though personally I wouldn't pay more than what I did considering how much prep I had to do before installing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals