• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No fuel.. No idea..

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, so I got an 88 B2 2.9 about a month ago that was in a wreck, and needed a new front axle. The guy I bought it from started it for me, and I bought it for cheap. Before I started the project, I started it again, so I KNOW it was working. I took off the old axle, and threw a Dana 35 under it and buttoned it up all nice like.

Now it will not start. It has a full tank of gas, the relays are working, I checked all the ground connections (that I can think of), there's power to the inertia switch, and the inertia switch is not tripped. The pumps were not bad before I started the project, and since neither are kicking on, I'm guessing they aren't the issue.

The only things that I have changed are the axle, the cross member the radius arms attach to, and the air intake. I put a short intake on.

The REALLY weird part is, when I tested the rail fuel pump, it's reading 0.3 volts. I know the cross member bolts up right next to the rail fuel pump, so my question is, am I missing something? Can anyone shed some light on this, because I'm about to start ripping my hair out!

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Really? No one has any ideas?

anthony1993418

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can you hear the fuel pump prime up when you turn the key forward?

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No. They don't prime. All I hear is a small click from somewhere under the car

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
okay start at the three relays under the fuse box under the hood start with the green one thats the fuel pump relay make sure this one is clicking when the key is turned on. also double check all grounds to computer fuel pump and relays are all secure n grounded.
worse case is its in the tank.

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, so none of the relays are clicking. The CEL isn't coming on either. I'm guessing it's probably a bad/disconnected ground, but all the ones I could find are fine. I checked all the ones at the front of the truck by the battery, I couldn't find any on the passenger side of the bay, and I checked the ground at the ECM. I'm not sure what could cause all the relays not to work. Any ideas for a next step???

Thanks for all your help so far. Hopefully we can nail this down soon!

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
None of the relays are clicking, but I managed to get it going with starter fluid, so that means it's getting spark. So the issue can't be with the EEC relay, right? This phantom failure is starting to make me go crazy..

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was reading some of the posts about this issue, and I saw one that was solved by a bad ground wire at the rail FP. Now, when I pulled that pump to look at it, I didn't see ANY ground wire with a spade connector.. Where does it go from on the pump, and where does it go to on the frame?

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I may have just figured it out, but I won't know until I can play around with it after work.

The wire coming off the negative terminal that goes through a single wire connector then over to the relays was broken, but it had been repaired well, so I didn't notice it before, when I was looking at it just now, it looked funny, so I cut the tape and it fell apart. I didn't have time to fix it, this would cause all of my issues, wouldn't it?

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update: Phantom Failure, Fixed!!
It was a bad solder job from the previous owner on one of the main ground wires. I must have overlooked it a thousand times. Fixed now :)

Thanks a lot everyone!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals