• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help removing shifter 2003 ford ranger

tmkf_patryk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
alright, so I have to replace the slave cylinder, I read up alot and also got a manual for it.
one of the first few steps, remove the shifter from transmission

so, my ranger is 2003, 2wd, and its got plastic molding trim, so I remove the 2 screws with ease and then theres a threaded bolt and a nut
i take the nut off the passenger side onto the drivers side, thread it, then get stuck, try as hard as i can, very very slowly turning but it just keeps getting harder, i take off the nut and see i started damaging it, try a few more times and nothing, there is noway it will thread on, the previous owner must have put lock-tite on it or something, it is physically impossible, only thing i have yet to try is my 4 foot long breaker bar (already thought i broke the shifter twice when the thing just jumped off)

so i need some help or tips what to try next, there must be a way of removing it off the transmission

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i just remove the 3 torx screws down at the base of the shifter and remove the whole thing. only time i bother with what you're doing is to replace shifter bushings

tmkf_patryk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
its already pitch black outside (i live far north) so i will get at it tomorrow (even though its in the garage)

I will guess that i will have to lift the plastic trim and find the 3 torx there

if there is anything else, let me know, but you helped me so much
thanks! (no thanks to the haynes)

i hope this info is good for the 03 as you got an 89 :p

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Brutus knows what he is talking about man. These transmissions have changed very little in the last 20 years.

First question, are you sure you are turning the nut the right way? If you are sitting in the seat and turning it trying to take it off the front of the shifter, from your perspective it needs to turn to the right. Next, make sure you have the right sized socket or wrench on it. If I recall it's a 17mm.

If all else fails, vice grips.

I will say though, I like Brutus' suggestion. I couldn't figure out how to get the shifter off the first time either and so I just took the Torx screws and the plate off. I find that makes it a lot easier to get the trans to clear the floor pan.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
This write up is on something else, but it shows a pic and description on how to remove the shifter.

CLICK HERE

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals