• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 Ranger + 65 F100 on dolly?

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Well I just acquired a 1965 F100 to use for a beater rig. It's got a straight 6 and 3 on the tree with a long bed. It's not at all pretty but for $850 it doesn't need to be! Anyways my issue is that right now it's about 85 miles from where I need it to be. I'm wondering if I could attempt to tow it on a dolly with my Ranger - it's an 03 4.0L 5spd manual 4.10 axles 4x4. If I was towing only on flat ground I would have no reservations trying to tow the F100, but here's the thing, I got a mountain between here and where I need to go. The uphill side won't be too bad - not much to climb coming from this side - but going down the other side it is a long, steep grade. I could go down the freeway and hope the traffic doesn't run me over while I crawl down, or I can take the old highway that has no traffic but is steeper, narrower, and has sharp hairpin switchbacks. Either way I'm looking at about an 8 mile stretch of continuous heavy downhill grade.
What do you guys think? If I take it slow and careful and keep it in a low gear can I handle having that 2 ton F100 pushing me down the mountain, or is it just too much weight on the Ranger to attempt it?

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Man I'm sitting here reading this post, thinking of a similar route I have here in Virginia. It's steep and twisty both up and down the mountain. I do not think I'd attempt that w/ my ride. I have 2WD, but even if I had the 4WD I'd pass on the trip. I've had trucks that couldn't pull it in high gear empty much less pulling or being pushed by another 3500 lb monster behind me. NO Way!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, downhill would be the issue.

I would look at car trailers vs dolly, these have trailer brakes.

Also look at full size truck rental to go with the car trailer, miles are the killer on truck rentals.

Also just to get a comparison, call local towing/car hauling companies and ask the price for pick up and delivery, if there is no "gotta be done now" time frame you may find a reasonable price, with 0 wear and tear on your vehicle, or your mind, lol.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a recipe for brown trousers to me.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would not try it up and down hills like that. I blew up a 5.8 towing a Jetta on a trailer in similar conditions.

If you can find a route around the mountain though...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Assuming that it is running, just get a buddy to help you out for a few hours and drive both of them back.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Only way I would even think about it would be with a trailer with brakes and even then it would be iffy.

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Yeah well sounds like everyone agrees it's too risky. I'll have to try to find someone who can give me a ride back over I guess. Sadly there is no way to get around this mountain - not without going over another mountain anyways. Guess I better get some new tags and insurance on the 65 haha

zrxsix3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have jun with your 65 when you finally get it home... i love my 64 4wd

and my dad bought a 62 not to long ago, it had a 65 front end on it tho... guy we bought this one from delivered it to us using his 66, he had 4 of these style trucks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals