• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally bought a truck I've wanted!

DangerBlue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,
New here from Wa state. I just picked up a 94 Ford Ranger ext cab 4.0 truck the other day. She's in pretty good shape. Only 59K miles on it. My very first truck was a 90 Ranger 2.3. Good little truck. Sold it when I bought my diesel. Diesel is getting too expensive for my commute, so I parked it and bought this truck. I've always wanted one of these! Has a couple things I need to figure out. Like what is normal oil pressure for these trucks? My gauge sits in the "O" of normal. Seems kinda low. Also, my coolant gauge fluctuates a little bit. It was the worst on my drive into work today. It went up to about mid range, then quickly dropped below the "n" and fluctuates the N and O for most of my commute. Will some times drop below the N when I stop. Probably going to throw a thermostat and fresh coolant at it this weekend. Anyways, here's a pic of it if it'll show up. Look forward to learning a lot here.

-Alex

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome, That's very low miles for a 94 = nice find . For the oil pressure gauge it should read in the middle. You can test the gauge and check oil pressure with a real gauge or just start by installing a new oil sender to see if your gauge reads where it should.

Last edited:

DangerBlue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I stopped and talked to a tech at the local Ford dealer. He said those trucks have had issues with the senders and Ford came out with an updated version. I bought that and threw it in. Sits a little above middle now! :icon_thumby:

97rangerstepside

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome from Clark county

LARRYBOMB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86,'88,'89,'90
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L auto, 2.9L auto, 5.0L auto, 2.3L 5spd
Transmission
Automatic

ranger nation

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 ranger 4x4
Make / Model
86 bll
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
stop, dont screw it up yourself, let me do it
you did not mention if your fuel gauge was fluctuating, from your description of whats going on I would be looking at the 5 volt regulator on the back of your cluster.... just my 2 cents

DangerBlue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The fuel gauge isn't fluctuating, it just goes down too fast lol I changed the oil pressure switch and now my gauge sits a little over half way now. They must have changed the internal resistance of the switch or something to make the needle sit higher.

Now I just have to tackle my other issues I've discovered like having no power to the radio when the key is turned backwards and my possible voltage problem. If I don't let the clutch out just perfectly smooth, my volt meter takes a dive for zero and the radio will blip for a second. Super annoying because it doesn't take much to do it. The radio will also blip if I punch it while moving. Wonder if I have a loose wire, possible short somewhere...

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would start with inspecting the ignition switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals