• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V6 Auto Forward Gear Issue

TXxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just recently a new issue has developed. It often takes 2-3 attempts of moving the shift lever into D back to N and back to D in order to get forward gears.

I am fairly certain that it is not the transmission itself. I serviced it when I got the truck. The fluid looked alright then. The truck also drives great.

I am worried that I will be stuck somewhere with no forward movement. There does not seem to be an issue with reverse.

I have examined the shift cable and checked the torx bolts under the dash that are a common issue.

My thought is that it is the the MLPS or neutral saftey switch.

Is this the most likely issue, or am I overlooking something?

Last edited:

TXxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll hook the code reader up to it today and see if any are present.

TXxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been doing some more reading. Is the switch on the side of the transmission functioning as not only the neutral safety switch / NSS, but also as the TR or transmission range sensor and the manual lever position sensor?

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could this be a shifter bushing issue? Is it still a manual linkage in the truck at some point? They sell those bushings at O'Reilly for like 6 bucks.

I have no clue, I just bypassed the NSS in my Pinto...but I was in the market for linkage bushings to fix my clutch when I bought this truck a month ago.

Sounds like a worn bushing, with the linkage playing you've had to do to get it to start.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They are nylon. :) Worth a look. :)

TXxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I went ahead and replace the neutral safety switch with the BWD one from Oriellys. It is also the transmission range sensor. They are all incorporated into one module.

So far it seems to work better, but its difficult to say so soon.

I saw a video about the bushings in the shift linkage / tube in the steering column. I don't think that's the problem, but will keep it in mind. Thanks for the tip.

Patriot1776

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I've been having a similar issue with my 92 ranger auto Trans 4x4. I'm glad to have found this thread. I wasn't aware of issues with the linkages or bushings but will have to check those out this weekend. My truck is a little slow to shift into and out of gear when not moving. It never seems to have an issue once I get going. I was assuming it was the Trans slipping and was preparing for a rebuild in the late winter. Would this also play havoc on the transfer case shifting into 4x4 mode?

TXxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Everything was fine for a while, but yesterday the issue returned. It was worse this time. Not only was it difficult to get forward gears to engage, but the same was true of reverse. What are the possible causes of this?

Last edited:

TXxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have been reading more about the common valve body gasket failures, I'm beginning to wonder if that is what I need to replace. I read somewhere that there is an improved gasket. Does anyone know where I can find that?

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ford dealer should stock it. It's a known problem.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
How old is the filter. If you dont know the first thing would be to put in a new filter and tranny fluid. If the oil is a little low it takesa a few minutes to warm up enough to expand to bring the volume up. Sounds like a slow leak to me. Put half a quart of tranny fluid in and see if it improves.

TXxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If I go to the Ford dealer for that gasket, how do I know if I am getting the improved one?

The filter is a Wix and is only about 6 months old.

I was thinking that maybe the fluid was low. I did check it before and it was fine though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals