• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

12 valve cummins deisel conversion?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I was pondering putting a cummins in my 2000 ford ranger. I was also wanting to install an allison transmission behind it. I know this coversion can be done since I found some on youtube. But the problem is the suspension components cannot hold up to that much weight. What do I need to do to fix the suspension problem. I actually thought about finding an early 2000's ford 1 ton single wheel and cutting the frame and making some mods to the cab, bed and fenders so that they can just set over onto the frame. I was going to leave my 3 inch body lift bushing under it and then make the cummins drop in. The other prob of course would be the axle width. I am not sure it would work or not. Anyways, has anyone ever made this conversion on here?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
6BT engine(6cylinder 12v) is 40" long, 302/351 V8 is only 27" long and they barely fit in Ranger.

The 4BT is a popular Ranger swap but still tight at 30" long

Google: 6BT in a Ranger images

I only see one picture with a 6BT just sitting in Ranger engine bay and it is sticking out to the back of the front bumper.
There would be a lot of custom body work up front, not to mention finding a spot for cooling system.

Yes the weight would be a problem, 6BT would run 1,100-1,200lbs, heck it would stress the rear springs just bringing it home in the back, lol.
Not sure which would be better, fitting Ranger body on full-size truck frame or re-framing front of Ranger frame, you are also talking alot of torque for the rear frame to absorb, so using full-size frame would probably be best and customizing ranger body to fit

Last edited:

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
A 12 valve can put out 800 pounds of torque with just slight pump mods. If its what you want go with the 6bt buy in my opinion you would be better off with a 4bt. Same engine just smaller.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
The one I seen that looks like a finished product, the firewall looked like it was not even there.

Your truck, your money. Hope you have deep pockets for this swap.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
That guy also extended the front fender and frame, as well as the firewall pushed back quite a bit. If you look at the fender behind the wheel arch it's at least 5 to 6 inches longer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you would have to extend the front, hood and reinforce the whole frame

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
:icon_confused:

stockish cummins?????? i would think so to keep costs down.... would not need a hopped up one...

so lets go with stockish for a scenario...and its not going to be a heavy haul work truck....that would not make sense. you need one ton shit to do that anyway...

2wd or 4wd? stock suspension or sas???

if stock 2wd or 4wd why wont the suspension hold it? because it will...maintenance will be higher.....

frame....yep...it will be fine. but its gonna rattle shit apart everywhere else.

you will certainly have to dog house it, which would suffice in some situations to keep from extending the front fenders. an sas truck with mid ride height will be easier to fit up for sure.

so it is doable if your willing to live with the compromises.

if you want big power get some custom rails(very cheap these days for mandrel bent box) and build a bad ass tib 250 suspension for a 2wd or one ton sas for a 4x4....... of course modifying a cummins chassis to fit a ranger body would be the easy button.

i like my cab space, and the nvh on a 12 valve is a weee bit outside of my tolerance to do in a tin can ranger..the 4bt is a ratty ass pos compared to my v8 diesel and not for me at all......while i like my little v8 diesel in my ranger because it is so cheap to run, i am only willing to live with lower power because it is much quieter and smoother then a cummins 12 valve.

there is much to balance with such a radical swap.

if you own and drive diesels its not too hard to figure out....but if you are not a diesel guy you may hate the truck when your done....especially if all you have driven is quiet cars and low power rangers and things of that nature.

so go drive some diesels around to help with decisions.

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
seriously cowboy...........................

12 valve cummins in a ranger :)

maybe a Ranger from before you were born .................. pre 1982!

anything is possible when you start with a fullsize chassis.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Volkswagen TDI. Kits are available, then can makes gobs of power and parts are easy to get. My second choice would be a navistar cast 6.5 Turbo.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Volkswagen TDI. Kits are available, then can makes gobs of power and parts are easy to get. My second choice would be a navistar cast 6.5 Turbo.
Not arguing but I do want to point out that while impressive power levels are attainable with a tdi anything over 200hp at the crank begins to cost some serious money if you want to keep it as a reliable, enjoyable daily driver. You can get 200hp and ~370flbs with bolt ons before it gets expensive and you have to start making trade offs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals