• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would Like help deciding on my first truck

sir____man

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I want a truck. I've been wanting a truck for years and at first wanted a 1997 ford ranger to build into a prerunner. Now I'm looking for a truck that I could build to handle the trails of the rocky mountains in Colorado because that is where I'll be moving to this upcoming spring. I've would really like a ranger preferably a pre-2000, but I would also settle for an f-150 also pre-2000. I've found a 1988 2.9 v6 ranger[/B] and a 1989 F-150 5.0 v8. Both 4x4(I consider this a must for my location) and in decent shape. I would like to build what I'm calling in my head a "trail truck", to me that's some where in between a prerunner and a crawler. Are these good model years for what I want to do with it? Which of the two would be better suited and why? Lastly where would be a good place to start the build for my truck?

P.S. I also want this to be a daily driver.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you don't want to do a solid axle swap, then the 97 and earlier Rangers will be better for what you want. Those trucks have the TTB front suspension which most like better for that work than an SLA suspension. I don't know when the F-150 hanged over so I can't comment on them.

The smaller size of the Ranger will help it fit on tighter trails. The bigger motor in the F-150 will turn larger tires easier. Both are capable.

Best place to start on building them will be fixing what the previous owners broke and neglected. Make sure it's going to be reliable before starting to build it up.

CaliNickXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt Ex. Cab
Transmission
Manual
Agreed on making it a good DD 1st, as thats what youll be doing most. Once shes running great do your mods. Good place to start is tires and shocks if your looking to go offroad. If you end up with a Ranger look for one with the 4.0 motor. I have a Almost stock 99Xlt 4x4 and youd be surprised where these things can take you an long as you have good tires and a healthy motor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals