• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone Ever Owned A Almost No Repair Truck/Car

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad and I were talking the other day about all the vehicles we have had in the family over the years and recalled that only 1 truck and 1 car we have had needed "ALMOST" no repairs at all. No including tires, battery, oil changes.

My dad had a 1984 Toyota Supra that he owned from new 35 miles on it to about 187,000 5 years later when he traded it, all that ever needed repair on it was the rear shocks. One day he was driving down the street and they just failed. That was the one and only time anything broke on that car. It still had the original clutch.

Also my dad owned a 95 Ford Ranger 2.3L. Owned that from 95 to 2002. It had more than 350,000 miles on it when and I still have no idea how she did it blew up the engine. Anyway the only time that ever went into the shop was to get a smog device replaced at the dealer that was still under the warranty. Yes surprisingly the original clutch on that to.

Pretty amazing to me. Anyone else?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
We had a 2010 Escape, I put a shock in it at 22K miles, drove it to 65K, sold it to my mom, who has since put a blower resistor and a rear hatch latch on it. I think it has 75 or 80K now.

We had a 93 Chevy van that needed very little work. I think in 250K miles we did a few batteries, had the security system removed because they were a problem (that was a recall), had the throttle plate cleaned once because it was making a whistle noise, and we put a few fuel senders in it because we wore out the cards for the gauge.

My dad's 06 Explorer has over 115K on it now and its had a radiator, PS pump, both for leaks, and a parking brake cable wore through on the eyelet.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My 2000 Ranger did well, aside from the things I did to it which I don't think should be counted against it, it needed the oil pan gasket replaced, oil pressure sensor, and something with the evap system, all under warranty. I was responsible for the rest of the damage from 110 miles to 80+k.

Everything else I've owned has been a mechanic's dream.

My parents have owned a few vehicles over the years that didn't require much repair, I wouldn't know where to start with listing them though.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 1990 2.3L Mustang I drove from my senior year of high school until 2003 (5 years)...bought it with 98K miles and retired it with 156K on it (was starting to rust pretty bad), drove it year round and abused it pretty well.

The only things I recall actually replacing on it, outside of normal maintenance items and mods that I put on, was one ball joint, the water pump and windshield wiper motor. I still wonder if it had the original clutch in it because I certainly never had it out and it never slipped.

I actually overheated that car twice in 2 days in traffic (which was how I found out the fan didn't work) and I'm fairly sure it cracked the head. It would burn coolant but fortunately none got in the oil, so the radiator was never more than half full and the coolant was always brown, but the car still got 27-28 MPG even like that.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I had a 1994 oldsmobile 88 that in the 8 years and 120k miles that I had it the only repairs it needed was the maf sensor and computer. (Maf went bad and took the computer with it) the car had 180k when I sold it and everything still worked including the a/c

AJ

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My Ranger has been a work in progress since I've owned one 15 or so years...in a few of its remakes I've had a three and a five year almost trouble-free driving spree...but those took a bit of work to get them to that point.

My 1989 Ford Tempo, which I have talked about endlessly on here, was the best I've owned...I drove it for 14 years, put on 400,000 kilometers, and the first five years I didn't do much more than regular maintenance.

It had issues with fuel pumps that gave me whiplash a few times but I didn't mind that so much as it kept Tempo to the Lone Ranger Theme pretty good once it got hopping...but that was covered under warranty...five times...

Other than that it was really good...front ends didn't last long once I started living down a washboard road that would periodically wash all the tension out of my body with a soothing massage coming up through the floorboards. But, again, all covered under warranty...

My only other really good vehicle was my Suzuki Sidekick...which I've also mentioned many times on here...it lasted six years without spending a dime on it...I did spend several thousand on some repairs and drive clean, but no dimes...that wouldn't even buy the mechanic a coffee so they tossed them back at me.

One thing I've never done knowingly is to actually call a vehicle by a :special: name...same as blow up dolls...no need to get personal...:)

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My 93 Ranger, 4 cyl, needed a cat shield under warranty (new to 75K), sold it because I wanted AC.

The 97 Ranger, 3.0, needed nothing (new to 80 something), sold it because I wanted the 4 door cab.

The 02, needed the air bag TSB and replaced the fuel pump at 93K. The front brakes were crap until I finally did them myself at around 40K. Still have it, going to give it to my Gdaughter.

The 08 Ranger FX4 (with level II goodies) was delivered with out the throttle cable shield, replaced by Ford. It is a fun truck.

All in all, the most repair free vehicles I have ever owned during my 55 plus years of driving.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I had a Isuzu pick up with 200K on it. no repairs that I can remember

At the other end of repairs.. Back in 1984 I fell in love with Pontiac's Mid Engine Marvel the Fiero.. I'm on my last one that we restored back around 2002. So... I would guess I have top of the list of cars needing repairs :bawling:

She won a number of shows when the new paint was new LOL

It's solid now with the jasper reman, HD clutch and much more. But I don't fee safe in driving down low anymore.

This a one car NO ONE wanted to work on and did S---ty work and charged Big $$$

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
My Ranger has been pretty solid. Pilot bearing failed at 145K miles, replaced all clutch components at that time. Had a couple injector failures I blame on running a 10 year old battery at the time. That's been it, the truck just turned 200k miles. I bought it with 130k.

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
My buddy had a '95 STX that ran the same plugs up to about 200,000 miles. They were wore down to a nub. He sold the truck about 5 years ago. It's still around, though it's starting to look really ragged.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
My 1992 ex-cab is the one I had to do the least amount to when I drove it daily. It needed a thermostat, ball joints, and shocks, in that order. I bought it with 84k on it, it had 126k when I stopped driving it, it has 130k now. I've done a lot to it since then, mostly mods, which then failed, lol. Everything else I've owned has needed something major, the worst was my Buick Park Avenue that I had to replace the engine, and the trans twice over 53k miles.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
2002 F150 with 254,000 miles. Uses no oil, replaced front ball joints last year, right power door lock 3 years ago and regular maintenance.

Had a 1980 F100 with a few minor repairs that had 253,000 miles and present owner says it has 265,000 now.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my dads old 65 chevy nova had roughly 500 miles on it when he bought it and around 380,000 miles when he sold it.. the only thing he ever did to it besides normal maintenance was a clutch; at around 200,000 miles.. when he got rid of it body still was rust free (New Mexico driven car) and had the original exhaust. for about the last 100,000 miles it burned some oil....

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
my dads old 65 chevy nova had roughly 500 miles on it when he bought it and around 380,000 miles when he sold it.. the only thing he ever did to it besides normal maintenance was a clutch; at around 200,000 miles.. when he got rid of it body still was rust free (New Mexico driven car) and had the original exhaust. for about the last 100,000 miles it burned some oil....
inline 6 or v8?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dad had a year currently uknown 4cyl Mustang II. Blue with a vinyl roof, rusty all over. Paid $100 for it and changed the oil once, it asked for nothing and got it but would start no matter what. No battery, no tires, nothing. It just ran and ran.

He ran it for a couple years with employees beating on it, eventually he got tired of looking at it and sold it to a guy for a couple hundred more than he had in it. A few months later Omaha Police Dept called saying his car was on the side of the road with a flat tire and if he wanted it back he had to pay the impound fees, he said no, you can keep it. Apparently whoever bought it never put the title in their name...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals