• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 2x4 to SAS 4x4

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I am new to this forum and to 4x4's in general.

I just recently purchased a 1998 Ranger 4cyl, 5sp 2x4 after my 1997 Grand Cherokee's motor started making excessive ticking. I really am enjoying this truck, but now I have a bug in my head about swapping out the drive train and abs from the jeep to the truck.

Where do I begin and how should this end?

Is this Ranger a good foundation? Can I purchase a nice lift kit for the Cherokee and fit to the truck as a starting point?

Thank you in advance for reading this post...PD

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I'm not sure but you can look into swaping in the front Axel which I think is a dana 30 there are alot of people who that and the Dana 44/swap to rangers\b2s etc I'm doing a d44 swap on my 87 v8 ranger but I won't be for awhile I have a few issues to deal with first what seems to be popular is the d44 and 8.8 Axel swaps and there are alot of guys on here that know wayy more than me but I would start with just reading through a few build threads and check the front Axel on your jeep and find out what it is for sure and also see what trans and t-cases options you have as well

Last edited:

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I am new to this forum and to 4x4's in general.

I just recently purchased a 1989 Ranger 4cyl, 5sp 2x4 after my 1997 Grand Cherokee's motor started making excessive ticking. I really am enjoying this truck, but now I have a bug in my head about swapping out the drive train and abs from the jeep to the truck.
From what I understand, your Grand Cherokee is a low pinion Dana 30 axle, which isn't as strong as the high pinion ones offered in the regular Cherokee Dana 30. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just that I don't know of anyone that has done a low pinion Dana 30. A lot of guys do the high pinion Dana 30 from Cherokees though. Some good reading in this tech article

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana30.shtml

Like Mightyfordranger said, another thing guys do is they use a solid Dana 44 from ford full sized trucks. Some guys run full width, and others narrow them to the width of a ranger axle. The Dana 44 is a stronger axle over the HP Dana 30, and thats the reason guys use it in swaps.

Another thing to think about is that you will need a different tranny and transfer case, as a ranger transfer case doesn't bolt up to the 2wd tranny. And 4x4 2.3 trannys are hard to come by, as ford didn't make very many 4x4 2.3 trucks after the first generation. Many guys get a 3.0 4x4 tranny and swap the guts and stuff.

Its all doable, just can take a lot of money, time and work. A lot of guys will tell you to just sell what you have, and get one that is already 4x4 and work from there. If you are not currently attached to your current truck, and you are looking for basic 4x4 and not anything extreme, that is probably what I would do. I have put a lot of work into my truck and I am pretty attached to it, so I plan on converting to 4x4. Its worth the extra effort and money to me. There are a lot of SAS (Solid axle swap) conversion build threads on here. Best thing to do is just start reading, and when you think you know everything, research some more. I've been planning for just over a year now, and I'm just starting my parts gathering. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Well put dprocks100. I have done alot of reading and parts gathering but not quite a years worth. I have two different ways I can go and there's still some guess work to be sorted out I don't quite have enough knowledge to make my game plan and if you are going d44 check out James Duff just Google them I bought some parts from them they have good stuffs

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks!!!

I have been going thru the posts and realized that I have the low pinion and would not consider the effort to remove it from the Jeep! What model and years of vehicle should I consider for a D30 front with ABS?

Is it possible to simply keep my trans and locate the NP242 at a close distance and manufacture a short shaft to go between the ranger trans and the NP242?

I would like to have coil springs front/rear, so I was considering at least the rear of the jeep. Would it be a good idea to have rear coils? I have found that I prefer the ride of coils over the leaf.

Thanks again...PD

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For starters I'd recommend forgetting about the ABS. It's going to be more trouble that it's worth to install and make work.

I believe that the NP242 in you Jeep is designed to mounted to the transmission. For what you are thinking about you'd need to find a divorced transfer case. They exist, dad's got one and a C6 sitting in his shop with the intent of installing them behind the 390FE in his old F-100. He bought a newer F-250 diesel instead. (No, none of them are for sale, it's going to be my next vehicle project.)

Coils and radius arms are standard fare for an SAS on a Ranger. Coils aren't the common option for a Ranger rear axle. Most people doing this type of work will opt for re-arched Chevy springs which offer lift and more flex, which I think will also give you want you are wanting rear coils for. Rear coilovers can be done, but it'll take a little more work than I imagine you want to dedicate to the Ranger.

I know you didn't ask for it, but here's my advice. I'm offering it free of change, so take it for what it's worth.

You bought the Ranger because of excessive engine noise in the Grand Cherokee. Now you want to do a SAS to convert to 4wd like the GC. Then you want to install the GC's drivetrain (much better options BTW) into the Ranger. Finally you want to convert it to front and rear coil springs to ride more like the GC. Face it dude, you want a Grand Cherokee for a wheeler/mall crawler.

I suggest that you leave the Ranger stock for now. Use it do do what ever you need a truck for. Take the money that you were going to spend on building and modding the ranger like you have in mind and put it into building the Jeep. The Jeep is a capable platform if done right. For the same $$ you can do more to it, it'll be easier and cheaper to fix and build, and from what I read you'll be happier with it. When it breaks, you've still got the little 2wd 4banger Ranger to get around in and fetch parts with.

Last edited:

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You bought the Ranger because of excessive engine noise in the Grand Cherokee. Now you want to do a SAS to convert to 4wd like the GC. Then you want to install the GC's drivetrain (much better options BTW) into the Ranger. Finally you want to convert it to front and rear coil springs to ride more like the GC. Face it dude, you want a Grand Cherokee for a wheeler/mall crawler.

I suggest that you leave the Ranger stock for now. Use it do do what ever you need a truck for. Take the money that you were going to spend on building and modding the ranger like you have in mind and put it into building the Jeep. The Jeep is a capable platform if done right. For the same $$ you can do more to it, it'll be easier and cheaper to fix and build, and from what I read you'll be happier with it. When it breaks, you've still got the little 2wd 4banger Ranger to get around in and fetch parts with.
This:agree:

If you want to do all that to your ranger, it will cost more money then it would to fix the engine in your Jeep. But just in case you still want to make the ranger 4x4, here is what I think. I would drop the ABS idea, I believe your truck, being an 89, only has rear ABS (RABS) anyways, so it could be a whole new mess to gut the original system and install it from the Jeep. It can be done, anything can be done with the right amount of money and time, but its not worth it in my opinion. I removed the RABS in my truck, and my brothers to save $120+, and I have never looked back. If you go Dana 30 SAS, then the best axle is from a XJ Cherokee 1991-1999 without the CAD (central axle disconnect). It comes set up for coils. Lots of people have done this exact swap, so there is a lot of info out there to learn how it can be done.

Like JoshT said, the transfer case set up you are looking to do would be called a divorced transfer case set up. Once again, it can be done with the right parts, money, and time, but I don't think you have the right parts. The parts to do that are getting harder to find, and can cost a lot more then just using the ranger stuff. Plus, running divorced takes up more room then a married set up, and on a ranger, there just isn't enough room for it to be practical. If you want it 4x4, I would do as I said earlier and swap the transmission for a 2.3 4x4 one, or if you are comfortable with transmissions, find a much more abundant 3.0 4x4 one (not a 4.0, they have different ratios, and the 2.9 is a whole different tranny) and swap the main input shaft and tail housing over to your 2.3 tranny, making it compatible with a transfer case from any 4x4 ranger. I would find a manual t-case for the swap, unless you can figure out how to wire the shift motor on an electric one, or don't mind climbing under your truck to shift into 4x4.

On to the rear of the truck. I personally would not put the jeep's rear axle under my truck. If its the Dana 35, which I believe it is, then it is fairly weak, and probably weaker then the Ford 7.5 you have on the truck right now. If anything I would put a ranger 8.8 with lower gears (bolt in swap) or an explorer 8.8 if you can weld. You also get disk brakes with the explorer 8.8. The 2.3 only puts out around 100hp on a good day, so gears are where your power will come from. Like JoshT said, coils on the rear would be a big pain, and probably cost a lot more money then It's worth. I would do the chevy 63/64" springs as they give more lift and flex, but require some non bolt on work, or swap over explorer springs (bolt in) for a couple inches of lift.

Its honestly a lot of work just to put the axle in the front and getting the 4x4 usable. If I had known I would have wanted something with 4x4 2 1/2 years ago, I would have bought me a 4.0 4x4 Ranger, stuck a 4-6 inch lift on it with 33" tires and called it good. But being in high school, I was looking for good gas mileage, and cheap insurance. I've done so much to my truck, that it is more practical at the moment to do a 4x4 swap to it, rather then sell and buy a new truck. Plus I'm pretty attached to my current truck.

This is just my .02 cents, you can of course do whatever you want :icon_thumby: That's what makes this hobby great. Someone always had to do it first.

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
***update. The truck is a 1998...also can I interchange a 1993 parts like transmission/tranfercase with a '98? I found a broken (bad motor) '93 4x4 v6 truck.

Now that we know I have a '98, does this change the feasibility of this mod?

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that we know I have a '98, does this change the feasibility of this mod?
This right here changes a lot. From what I know, it takes a lot more fab work to take out your kind of IFS and put a solid axle under it. People have done it, so search around for those builds. Tranny, t-case and rear end info is still all relevant. The 93 is a different suspension then your 98, but as long as the v6 is the 3.0 and has a manual tranny, you can swap out the guts with your 2.5 tranny (I believe 98's had the 2.5 4cyl, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Any pre 2001 4x4 4cyl tranny will bolt right up to your engine.

If you want my .02 cents, I would either sell the 98 and buy a already 4x4 one, or fix the Grand Cherokee. From what I know, it is a lot more work to SAS a 98+ ranger from 2wd. I don't know a whole lot about the 98+ conversion, but from what I know, it wouldn't be worth it to me. Takes a lot of fabrication :icon_welder: money, and time. Sorry, wish I had better news for ya man.

Flat_Bottom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will be the first to admit that I dont know a whole lot about Ford or Rangers (which is why I am here, to learn) but I do know a thing or two about wheelin'. First off and MOST IMPORTANT is to figure out what kind of wheelin you are wanting to do. Rock crawler/trail rig, mud bogger or just a well built little rig to load up and play with without getting too crazy with modifications. This question needs to be mentioned first and foremost when deciding to build a wheeler. But like said above, if you like the truck as it is and you liked your Jeep before the engine issues, then spend the money to fix the Jeep and have one of each.

With the above being said, for me personally, if you are wanting to build a solid little wheelin truck that will perform well and without spending a small fortune, then I would not hesitate using what you can from your Cherokee. Yes, the Grand has a low pinion D30 front axle which is not preferable but its free and will have no issues what so ever pulling 33" tires with a locker in the front. If you are wanting 35"+ tires with full gears and lockers then absolutely upgrade to a D44 at a minimum. If you can fabricate then IFS or TTB, dont matter at all. IFS involves more fabricating but for me, I hate radius arms and would cut it all out anyways for a standard 4 link with pan-hard bar setup (same as your jeep but better). Again, first question should 100% be "What do I want this truck to do" and then go from there. For me, on my '86, I will be using a D30 from a Cherokee with a standard 4 link and pan-hard bar system with an 8.8 rear using arched Ranger springs with Cherokee coils up front. Strongest? Nope. Cheapest? Almost. Perform well with 33's without dealing with paranoia while on the trail and still be able to utilize my truck while running the dogs? Absolutely. Good luck.

Last edited:

Flat_Bottom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im sorry, I just realized your Ranger is a 2wd, not 4wd. The same advise applies and anything can be done but as stated in the post above mine, I would sell your 2wd and get a 4wd model and then start looking to build.

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FB; why would you chose the 4x4 over the 2x4? From my position I do not know why it would matter?

I plan on having a nice all around 4x4, do a little of what ever and daily drive if needed. I plan on keeping the 2x4 unmolested and finding another truck to mod. So again, why would I chose the 4x4 vs the 2x4 as the starting platform?

Last edited:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Point doc good question why would i t matter if your just ripping apart the suspenstion anyway? Well for one I drive the same truck you do daily check my profile pick.
If I remember right they have a rack and pinion steering
And I wanted to do the exact same thing you want to as well just have a over axeled underpowered little rig that's hard to break but anyway ud have to find a diff trans t-case and with a 4x4 truck its already a better starting platform

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ud have to find a diff trans t-case and with a 4x4 truck its already a better starting platform
This is the number one reason to get a 4x4 over a 2x4 to start out. A pre 98 2wd ranger takes less fab work to convert the front axle then a 98+, but the tranny and t-case are the same "problem". Like Flat_Bottom said, It all depends on what you want out of the truck. Unless you want to do serious 4x4 and rock crawling, the stock 4x4 form of a ranger is not a bad platform. Throw a lift on and bigger tires, and it can do a lot. Add a locker and its even better. Answering your original question
Is this Ranger a good foundation?
If you want something that crawls everywhere, and climbs any rock you see, then it really doesn't matter what you start with, but some trucks are better then others. And in your case, your 98 2x4 is the least desirable ranger foundation to SAS or even convert to 4x4.

Here is a build of a 98+ 4x4 that was SAS'd with a Dana 30
getrdone52 build

There are a few others, but I can't find them at the moment.

Last edited:

Flat_Bottom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Like the others have said, and I agree with, starting a sas build with a 4x4 is much easier and cheaper. If you are planning on buying a rolled over or parts truck that is 4x4 and put all the 4x4 drive train under your nice ranger, then that may off set the cost of selling your truck and purchasing a 4x4 to start with. For what you said you would like to do with the truck in regards to wheeling and being daily driver friendly, I would (personally) sell/trade your 2x4 for a nice 4x4 that is '97 or older, toss a 4" suspention lift under it ($450) good set of 32x11.50's ($800-$1000) and a ratchet locker of your choosing ($300) for the FRONT and that truck will wheel just fine and take you most places that you desire to go while still being able to drive it without any worries. Just my opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals