• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 2x4 to SAS 4x4

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Either way you go I'm still looking forward to reading the build thread :icon_thumby::icon_welder:

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you all for your help!! I like the '98 and later because of they have more interior room (from what I have read). I can find '97 and older all day long cheap to do this mod to. So, I am simply trying to gather a list of what I need and start shopping! Still can't decide on what year ranger to strongly consider, simply I do not understand why a '97 would be easier to do a SAS vs a '98 or later?? Could someone please share why? Thanks...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would probably prefer a 2wd if i was changing the powertrain anyway.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Point doc the only reason I can think of a sas is easier on a 97 and Earlier is because there so much info out there for it and more aftermarket parts is my guess.

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input...PD

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
the only reason the ttb chassis is considered easier is because it has a steering gear on it and already set up for coil spring suspension....so it is easier for sure.

this makes the early ford style coil sprung straight axles, whether full width or early bronco.... a literal bolt in affair.

because if your creative enough, you can swap one in with minimal or no welding and some drilling and shimming. in just a few hours. it wont be pretty...it wont be perfect....but it will work.

to make it all good takes custom buckets and a trac bar and steering kit.

or 600 bux.....ontop of the working axle assembly.

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
update

K...sold the jeep, so the idea of putting jeep parts into my '98 ranger is gone!

I just bought my neighbors '97 ranger 4x4 for $250. Going to switch sliding rear window and some other interior stuff quickly. Possibly also install a second gas tank onto my 2x4. Any suggestions on how to manage this will be appreciated!

Now for the heavier stuff; I wish to take the axles and transfer case over to my '98 2x4. The '97 has Twin I Beam I believe? My 98 has upper/lower A-arms, what issues will I see? Also the '97 has the v6/manual and my '98 had the I4/manual, I suspect that for the transmission I can swap tail cones and what else may I need? The axle code is 96, from what I was able to find it is a 8.8/3.73 open.

Thanks,
~PD

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
K...sold the jeep, so the idea of putting jeep parts into my '98 ranger is gone!

I just bought my neighbors '97 ranger 4x4 for $250. Going to switch sliding rear window and some other interior stuff quickly. Possibly also install a second gas tank onto my 2x4. Any suggestions on how to manage this will be appreciated!

Now for the heavier stuff; I wish to take the axles and transfer case over to my '98 2x4. The '97 has Twin I Beam I believe? My 98 has upper/lower A-arms, what issues will I see? Also the '97 has the v6/manual and my '98 had the I4/manual, I suspect that for the transmission I can swap tail cones and what else may I need? The axle code is 96, from what I was able to find it is a 8.8/3.73 open.

Thanks,
~PD

the jeep axle would have been easier.

now yo need to swap your body to the 4x4...

pia no matter what.

if i was to use traction beams they would be from a 150...and buy some fat fenders.

fitting traction beams to your chassis would be beyond difficult if your looking for advice.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Agreed if your going to do that there's different crossmembers and frame brackets much more welding invovled it.would be easier for a sas I'd do it to the other ranger but if was to do a sas on a 98+ truck it would be leaf sprung.....sorry man

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sheet! I can at least take the 8.8 axle from the rear and transfer case and other goodies...

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Honestly I wood grab a divorced t case so u can keep you stock trans and use yj axels for the leaf springs fab up some brackets have the drive shafts made grab a Toyota ifs steering box and go from there or buy a older body style truck and go from there there is a guy who did a coil sprung sas on a 98+ truck on here if I can find it again I'll post it up for ya to read he did some frame Chopin to make it work

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Swapping a solid axle in is the way to go, even then its a lot of work, the outsides of the framerails will have to be chopped down where the coil springs go, the bottom of the engine crossmember also needs to go, they will both need to be replated, the frame needs to be modified for the toyota box to fit, the steering shaft needs to be custom made, you will need to find a 4x4 transmission output shaft and tailhousing as they are a different spline count and length. Many more other things as well, a friend of mine has a build thread on here, i dont recall his username though

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Point Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe I take the '98 swap in svo and lower it? :icon_idea:

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
I have something in the works here in a few months already got the donor truck too!!! But thats for you to wait and see its close to your idea lol but there's other things you can do for sure v8 swap lower it 2.3 TURBO swaps or just pluck out your 2.5 and build the piss out of it or swap in a esslinger racing engine I prefer v8 swaps the neighbors don't tho ha ha I'm up till like 1:30-2 am tuning and beatin on shit ha ha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals