• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want a diesel !!!!!!

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Enjoying the back and forth discussion. My grandad was a farmer and he swore by ford trucks. He bought the simplest thing on the lot because cost and durability were his only criteria. He would take out the rubber floor mat and hose it out when it got too much mud in it and he drove them literally into the ground - decades. You could buy a 200 acre farm in rural Pennsylvania back in the 80's for what a nicely equipped ford f150 sells for these days.

A nice fancy truck is great but I don't want one. A simple, easy to repair and maintain brute is what I want. They are not available because all of the manufacturers are trying to outdo each other with fancy crap. Simple is still obtainable its just not being offered.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Enjoying the back and forth discussion. My grandad was a farmer and he swore by ford trucks. He bought the simplest thing on the lot because cost and durability were his only criteria. He would take out the rubber floor mat and hose it out when it got too much mud in it and he drove them literally into the ground - decades. You could buy a 200 acre farm in rural Pennsylvania back in the 80's for what a nicely equipped ford f150 sells for these days.

A nice fancy truck is great but I don't want one. A simple, easy to repair and maintain brute is what I want. They are not available because all of the manufacturers are trying to outdo each other with fancy crap. Simple is still obtainable its just not being offered.
Then why are you waiting to see if there is a diesel to be offered ? It will be a newfangled complicated fancy diesel. It will have less power than the 2.3 eco.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Then why are you waiting to see if there is a diesel to be offered ? It will be a newfangled complicated fancy diesel. It will have less power than the 2.3 eco.

You just enjoy argueing dont you?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some things never change.

Grumps today complain and say "New trucks are too complex/expensive now. Things were better in the old days!"

Grumps in the 1960s complained and said "New trucks are too complex/expensive now. Things were better in the old days!"

Grumps in the 1930s complained and said "Trucks are too complex/expensive. Things were better in the old days!"

Don't be the grump complaining about things you can't change! Accept it, and move on. Complaining to strangers on the internet about how you can't get your way is kind of pouting like a child isn't it? Life isn't fair, and we don't always get what we want, but the good news is that nobody is forcing any of us to buy new stuff if you don't want to. If you want old, simple trucks then take the money that you'd pay for a new truck and use it to go buy the old, simple truck of your dreams and restore it.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Sounds like someone needs a kitten in a box to pet occasionally.
NOTE: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO STRANGLE THE KITTEN IN THE BOX.
We'll see who bites on this one.
Thanks,
Craig

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some things never change.

Grumps today complain and say "New trucks are too complex/expensive now. Things were better in the old days!"

Grumps in the 1960s complained and said "New trucks are too complex/expensive now. Things were better in the old days!"

Grumps in the 1930s complained and said "Trucks are too complex/expensive. Things were better in the old days!"

Don't be the grump complaining about things you can't change! Accept it, and move on. Complaining to strangers on the internet about how you can't get your way is kind of pouting like a child isn't it? Life isn't fair, and we don't always get what we want, but the good news is that nobody is forcing any of us to buy new stuff if you don't want to. If you want old, simple trucks then take the money that you'd pay for a new truck and use it to go buy the old, simple truck of your dreams and restore it.
You might tone it down a tad, everybody is entitled to their opinion. There is no need to attack anyone.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might tone it down a tad, everybody is entitled to their opinion. There is no need to attack anyone.
That was not my intent. Sorry if it came across as attacking. Guess I should go have a Snickers. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I get tired of hearing complaints about things that none of us can change. If you want it, and you can afford it, buy it. If you don't want it, then vote with your wallet instead of complaining.

It's pretty obvious that the new Ranger will be everything that a new truck is. It's going to have lots of tech, and things like fuel economy/emissions/crash safety have all played a role in it's development. It's going to appeal to a lot of people, and there will be others (like many of us here) that prefer our more basic trucks. Complaining about the new stuff just wastes everybody's time.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Complaining about the new stuff just wastes everybody's time.
As does singing the praises of the watered down tissue paper trucks they build nowadays.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Is there -anything- that you can do with your old truck that can't be done with a comparable truck straight off the lot today?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As does singing the praises of the watered down tissue paper trucks they build nowadays.
Looking at the world with a positive outlook is rarely a bad thing. :icon_thumby:

This doesn't have to be an "us vs them" thing folks.

Is there -anything- that you can do with your old truck that can't be done with a comparable truck straight off the lot today?
I can poke my finger thru rust holes in the bed...

I do like not having a full length center console. I can dodge that with an F-150 but not with the new Ranger. (that and console only shifter are my only big gripes)

For size/maneuverability you would have to get into side by sides to compete. A midsize is a lot bigger truck. People want bigger, bigger is easier to make safer, more stable, more comfortable... I get it.

I do want a new Ranger, Supercrew STX FX4 in the flavor of Saber... but it won't fill the same niche as my '85 so '85 vs '19 isn't much of an issue.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Interesting re: the console. Going to a full size console is one of my projects for the '99.

The maneuverability of a small truck is appealing. Just going from my regular cab '94 to the extended cab '99 was noticeable. I'm sure one of the new supercrews will be a similar level of change. The old Bronco II was spectacular in tight quarters.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting re: the console. Going to a full size console is one of my projects for the '99.

The maneuverability of a small truck is appealing. Just going from my regular cab '94 to the extended cab '99 was noticeable. I'm sure one of the new supercrews will be a similar level of change. The old Bronco II was spectacular in tight quarters.
They ALWAYS seem to hit me right in the kneecap, drives me nuts.

At least with the wife's Edge I can telescope the steering wheel and slide the seat clear back to get away from it. I suspect the new Ranger will be similar. Otherwise it is about a guarantee if I can't telescope the wheel it is console meet kneecap. In my Ranger or F-150 I just sit there and nothing puts my legs into a bind (and I don't have to wonder how strong the dash is vs my femur if I get into a wreck)

And I don't have anywhere nice to put my CB radio like I do in my F-150. :annoyed:

Coming from an F-150 (although an older one) I am sure even a screw will handle like a gocart compared to what I am used to.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Bounce thru a ditch without ripping a fascia off.
Kick the rear sideways
work on it
hit a deer and not have it totalled
Unlock it with a key...

The only real advatage modern trucks have is towing on the expressway. Thats what state routes are for.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bounce thru a ditch without ripping a fascia off.
Kick the rear sideways
work on it
hit a deer and not have it totalled
Unlock it with a key...

The only real advatage modern trucks have is towing on the expressway. Thats what state routes are for.
16 years ago my truck was totaled for 12 hail dings in the hood. I doubt the passage of time has increased its odds in a deer encounter.

"real trucks don't have facias" The North American Ranger has a steel bumpers as the Ranger always have had.

TC can be turned off.

Pretty much everything still has a cylinder in the door.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals