• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb? EFI? What to choose.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I am in process of installing a 5.0 from an 89 F-150 into my 92 Ranger. My brother wants to go carb due to the simplicity of it, I want to use EFI(thats what my Ranger is now and thats how I want it to stay), plus the 5.0 has EFI w/ the computer any way. So, what do you guys think about the system onhttp://www.massfloefi.com or that electronic carb that was featured on Horsepower TV? He wants electronic carb, i want the system on the website. Input would be appreciated.

sublime68charger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if possible I would use the EFI that is on teh 5.0 motor now.

just my $.02 on the matter,

my be harder to setup and get going but easier to run in the long run.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
**** carbs, they have no place on the road these days, they went out with bellbottoms. EFI isnt that overwhelming, just get a shop manual for the truck the engine came from, then get a manual for your truck. Take some time to read over the wireing schematics, dont rush the swap, and you will be fine, and happy with the dependable starting, better fuel milage and dependability.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
+3 on EFI. Better in so many ways. Just do EFI if ya already got it.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
**** carbs, they have no place on the road these days, they went out with bellbottoms. EFI isnt that overwhelming, just get a shop manual for the truck the engine came from, then get a manual for your truck. Take some time to read over the wireing schematics, dont rush the swap, and you will be fine, and happy with the dependable starting, better fuel milage and dependability.
:buttkick:I bet if you'd drive mine, you'd retract that "**** carbs" statement. If I hadn't told you it had a carb, you'd never guess it from driving it.:c-n:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
lol, baddad, whne i go out at 4am in the middle of january, and its -35 out, i have yet to see a carped engine that barked to life, and idled. I used to work with carbs. From a 289 with a lumpy cam that would hardly idle, to a nice smooth runing 351 in a bronco, I will never put a carb on anything unless there realy is no other option.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
To each their own, I also run a carb and if you didn't open the hood you wouldn't know it. I would much rather have done it fuel injected but didn't have the cash to buy new injectors, intakes and so on. If you are going to build the crap out of the engine it will be cheaper to use a carb due to the fact you will reach the limits of the stock injection pretty quickly. If it's going to stay pretty much stock go with the fuel injection,

Matt

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol, baddad, whne i go out at 4am in the middle of january, and its -35 out, i have yet to see a carped engine that barked to life, and idled. I used to work with carbs. From a 289 with a lumpy cam that would hardly idle, to a nice smooth runing 351 in a bronco, I will never put a carb on anything unless there realy is no other option.
We try keep fish out of our engines, that kinda helps. :taunt:

We have had pretty good luck with our carbed engines, my 2.8 is kind of tempermental but I need to make it adjustable after I ditched the feedback stuff. The 400 in my dads one ton starts quicker and runs just as smooth as my 5.4, I tested it once with both sitting out in the middle of a snowstorm.

We even used a carbed tractor to push snow and feed hay, it does have a manual choke but the little bugger doesn't miss a beat.

Edit: If the EFI setup is complete I would try to run it, if not I would probably go with the carb personally. Your truck came with EFI so you already have the fuel system in place for it.

Last edited:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
fish eh, ya, i dont think carp is a good alternative fuel sorce.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've driven em when the temps were 20 degrees, all it takes is a few minutes to baby it till it will idle, and that's with NO choke. At -35, you're still going to have to let the engine warm up before driving anyway unless you like changing bearings more often than's needed. The one situation where EFI does shine over a carb is when it involves drastic elevation changes.

macdaddy31516

October STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the carb on my ride is as snappy as any efi, hands down:3gears::. do what makes you happy, if you dont ,then you will wonder what if.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Thats what block heaters are for !!:icon_twisted:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Go with a Carb.

One guy that used to be here tried using a EFI 302 on a 87 Ranger.....after going from a EFI 2.9L, last i knew 2 years later it was still sidelined due to electrical issues.

Its alot eaiser hooking up a throttle linkage, kickdown rod, and fuel line then the oodles and oodles of colorful speghettie that you have to hook up with EFI. For a very small benifit in the end.

Carburators run just as good as EFI as long as the Carb is in good shape. Alos, very rarely will a carb ever "Fail" to the point where it wont run at all.

The 400M in my dually with a Edelbrock 4bbl, starts and runs just as smooth and as quick as anything i have thats EFI. The old 351W in my LTD II always started no matter how cold it was.

My buddy has a Plow truck that only sees use in the winter.....its never not started, even in sub zero temps.

The only reason people some people make comments like "**** carbs" is because either 1-They had the money to have some pro set up his\her EFI....or 2- They bought the truck with the EFI shit already hooked up.....or 3 (and probely the biggest reason) there running under the impression newer is always better.....when in reality, its usually the other way around.

Newer is not better, just shiner.

later,
Dustin

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only reason people some people make comments like "**** carbs" is because either 1-They had the money to have some pro set up his\her EFI....or 2- They bought the truck with the EFI shit already hooked up.....or 3 (and probely the biggest reason) there running under the impression newer is always better.....when in reality, its usually the other way around.

later,
Dustin
:pray:Or, 4. they aren't old enough to know what a carb is, does, how it works or how to tune one.:icon_confused: And then when they think it's out of tune, they mistakenly think the carb is the problem, when in reallity it's an ignition problem.:icon_rofl:

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do all my own work, some times i slip up and ask stupid questions on hear, but thats life. If you dont understand the wireing in your truck, and need to fal back in old technology, maybe its not that fact that im too young to understand carbs, maybe some people are too old to learn new technology lol. I have had a lot of fun with Carbs, when i was 18 i coble fuked a early 80's Bronco to wheel with, it had a carb. I helped a friend with a 289 powered mustang, again, with a carb. My last DD had a carb. This truck was the first to have efi, i didnt understand it, so i learned it. Now im in the middle of swap # 2, so if somone does WANNA see how whats all in that spegettie of wires, i got a lotta pics.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals