• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant temp gauge problems, please give opinion.

TuxRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently put a better running 2.3l engine in my ranger and now my temp gauge for my coolant isn't quite right it stays above the bottom line when the engine is on but when off it shows dead so i know it is partially working. Which coolant sensor sends the info to the gauge the temp switch or the temp sensor and which one is on the heater core hose and what is the one in the side of the block, I really just need some assistance in this. Which is which??

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the hose

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The sender for the gauge is in the drivers side of the block to the upper rear. It has one wire. The sensor in the hose is the coolant temperature sensor for the computer, two wires. shady

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The sender for the gauge is in the drivers side of the block to the upper rear. It has one wire. The sensor in the hose is the coolant temperature sensor for the computer, two wires. shady
I thought the sender in the drivers side rear of the block was the oil pressure sender.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I thought the sender in the drivers side rear of the block was the oil pressure sender.
No, the oil pressure sender is in the rear of the driver's side of the head.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
Transmission
Manual
What year is the truck and what year is the engine? The early (83-84) first gen rangers aren't compatible with later ones.
I have an '88TC engine in an '84 Ranger with an '88 Ranger instrument cluster. It works.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes it is the one wire sender. its about $5 bucks at autozone. (the call it the switch) they usually dont know what it does so you must call it what they do. if you un plug it your gauge will go dead, so you will know when you got the right one.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Neither of the temp gauges in my '93 2.3L Rangers get much above that bar after they're warmed up. A several hour run @ 3K on the highway with cardboard in front of the rad almost got it up to the N in normal.

Young_unn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
5.0, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
I recently put a better running 2.3l engine in my ranger and now my temp gauge for my coolant isn't quite right it stays above the bottom line when the engine is on but when off it shows dead so i know it is partially working. Which coolant sensor sends the info to the gauge the temp switch or the temp sensor and which one is on the heater core hose and what is the one in the side of the block, I really just need some assistance in this. Which is which??
The one that is on the heater hoses on the front with 3 wires controls the computer.

The one on the drivers side of the block below the oil pressure switch/sensor is the one for the coolent gauge in the truck. this has one wire ( to the best of my knowledge.

the coolent is on the block, the oil pressure is on the head ( im pretty sure, it may be on the block also, but it is still above the coolent sensor

if the gauge sensor is bad the gauge will move to just under the lowest end of the safe running temp on the gauge.

Young_unn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Rangers
Engine Size
5.0, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsps View Post

No, the oil pressure sender is in the rear of the driver's side of the head.
They both are. one on top of each other

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Neither of the temp gauges in my '93 2.3L Rangers get much above that bar after they're warmed up. A several hour run @ 3K on the highway with cardboard in front of the rad almost got it up to the N in normal.
sounds like u need a t-stat maybe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals