• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need your opinion guys

RangerMan9389

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright first of all i'd like to say hi to everyone again! first time back since the host switched.

now my delema, i'm buying a new 08 ranger and i'm buying an XLT reg cab short box with a 2.3 and a manual trans. ford won't let me have a 3.73 with a posi unless i get an auto. now i'm a boilermakers aprentice and i've herd of some hairy roads up north to some sites in the winter and everyone has told me to reconsider and buy a 4x4. but i don't want to because of the price and milage that comes with the 3 and 4.0. so i want your opinion on buying and installing a locker and if that would give me enough to make it through some dense snow and just your general opinion. i was thinking of maybe buying a set of steelies and mounting some 31 micky's on them for better traction if it gets bad.

thanks Jeremy

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
traction aids like limited slips can sometimes make your truck worse in icy weather(like spinning out in a circle)maybe you just want to get some spare rims and get studded snow tires for winter?

michowski

Reaction score
Tires more then anything else will be a key factor of how much traction you get in snow. If you get some good offroad tires then they can bite a lot better. Nothing worse then wanting traction with a bald set of tires or stock tires with the tread half gone. I would buy what you got now and just off the bat get some new tires. You can always upgrade to a posi in the future if you want but tires will make a lot bigger difference.

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
rickcdewitt is right about spinning in circles. With an open differential only one wheel will start spinning freely on slick roads, while the other will hopefully keep the ass end of your truck where it is supposed to be. With a locked differential both tires will likely spin thus increasing your chances of spinning out or kicking sideways. Look into those water bags that you can strap in the bed of your truck or just some sand bags and a real good set of snow tires. I know quite a few guys that run 4x2's here in new england and never have a problem with just some weight and good tires. Anyway good luck with the new truck!

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
No matter what you do to enhance the traction, it's not going to be as good as a 4wd. The best thing you could do is get opinions from the people that drive those roads. If they're the ones telling you to consider a 4wd, you should.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm guessing they don't make 4x4 4cyls anymore. Could buy an older 2.3 4x4 ranger. Mine now is a 2.3 5spd 4x4 reg cab short box and get 22 MPG average between highway and city. Does great inthe snow. 4x4 makes a huge difference. Other than that, if you still want to get a new one and 4x2 just put weight in the bed and keep good tires on it.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A good set of snow tires, about 500 pounds of sand bags in the bed, and knowing how to drive, and you'll bet set.

It's really hilly here and we get lots of snow, I've only had to take an alternate route from my normal on once, and that's because someone else spun out on a hill in front of me, and I had to turn around and take another road.

RangerMan9389

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright well thanks for all your input guys. really i would buy another older ranger thats a 4x4 2.3 but i also really want to buy somthing new with a warrenty. and i really do like the 08 model so i think that i'm going to go for it and buy the 4x2 that i have ready to order. i know how to drive in the snow i live here in michigan,(atleast i have a few years under my belt) my first truck when i got my license was a 93 reg cab short bed 2wd with a 2.3 and a 5spd and my birthday was in november and it was a blizzard that year. so that was what really tuaght me how to drive in the snow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals