• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

towing inputs/thoughts

Everything4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hello everyone,
so im picking up a new boat next Friday, its a 17ft bass tracker with a 60hp on the back. My question for you is how do u think my 2000 super-cab 4.0 auto 4x4 ranger will do. I used to pull a 18ft gambler w/ a 150 with the same truck just a 3.0 and well let just say i wouldn't go very far with it lol. i have a 15ft right now and can barley tell its back. Off bass trackers web site they say the boat approx. package weight is 2200lbs and i plan on doing more than hr trips occasional. Please just let me know what you guys think.

Coolguy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Get an external trans cooler installed to help the trans cool

Everything4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the truck already has one. I actually picked it up today. i could tell it was back there but wasnt to unpleased with the trucks ability to pull it. the 4.10s deff helped but id like it to have a little bit more pull on accel. so ill prob do simple bolt on and a programmer and see how it does. that or find a wrecked 5.0 explorer love the truck to much to get rid of it

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 06 3.0 and have towed a 16 foot aluminum boat and a pop top camper on my truck with no problems. Actually I could cruise in 5th on the highway with no problems. .
The boat and trailer were about 1400 lbs, and the camper was 1000 lbs.

I would think your 4.0 would tow that boat easily

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It'll do great. My dad has almost that exact same combo and it pulls just fine. I think his is a fisher with a 75 horse.

FWIW before dad got a F-250 he would use the Ranger to pull a small 5th wheel camper with no problems. Had to take it easy in the mountains but it pulled pretty well.

EDIT: Damn should have looked at the post dates. Why do people keep digging up old threads that already have an answer (from the OP) just to add their opinion.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals