• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

question regarding trailers with or without brakes

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had purchased a 6 by 9.5 foot landscape trailer and was happy untill I weighed it. I came to find out this trailer weighed about 1250 lbs empty. If the law says trailers over 2000 lbs must have brakes then this means I can only put 750 lbs of cargo on it to be fully road legal? Is this correct?
I am not sure what to think of that. I am trying to understand the purpose of my dual axle trailer when this is the case.
I also noticed that u-haul and home depot both rent 5 by 9 foot trailers that also weigh about 1250 lbs empty, (Without brakes).
????
opinions on this matter?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Laws are different everywhere. Some places over 3500 lbs need brakes, others have no laws at all. I believe in parts of Australia trailers are required to have a mechanical parking brake.

That must be a beefy trailer, my 18' dual axle car hauler comes in at 1100.

But yeah, if 2000+ lbs requires brakes then 750 lbs is the limit. The u-hauls might run surge brakes.

Surge brakes are better than nothing, but if you're refitting an entire brake system go with electric and get at least a decent middle-of-the-road controller. You don't necessarily need brakes on all wheels either, just one axle can suffice to save a bit of $$$.

Do the axles have flanges for backing plates?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
bluebombersfan - we'll assume he is from Winterpeg...

Manitoba's trailer laws require brakes on trailer's over 910kg (2,000lbs) GVWR. Also if GVW of trailer is over 4,500kg (9,920lbs), you need class 3 license... Both cases, doesn't matter how much you haul; matters what trailer is rated for.

U-haul 5x8 trailer with 1,300kg (2,890lbs) GVWR is illegal to tow in Manitoba as it doesn't have brakes. Everything is fine until you are in accident and insurance walks away...

I assume you want to haul more than 340kg (749 lbs); so, adding brakes is recommendation. As Captain says - surge brakes on one axle is the least expensive way to meet law (Couple hundred $$$ that you didn't plan on spending....)

Given this is Ranger forum - you want more brakes towing >910kg (2,000lbs) behind your truck anyways.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats what is so confusing, because if the uhaul trailer with 2890 lbs gvwr is illegal why do they rent it? Why are there so many out there? Just empty it still weighs about 1250lbs is this not a bad design for a trailer?

If I were building a trailer I am sure it would not be difficult to design one that weighs say 500 lbs, and could hold another 1500 lbs. A trailer like this makes sense, but my trailer and the one on uhaul seems useless at least for guys who actually give two shits about being road legal or not.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
...doesn't matter how much you haul; matters what trailer is rated for.
Again, unsure of their trailering laws. But unless there is documentation like a data plate or on the title/registration (if it has one), you could always lie... Take a can of spray paint, some stencils, and put a big ol' "750lbs max cargo weight" on the side and state that design features (hey, that would include a lack of brakes right?) prevent it from carrying any more than that.

:beer:

Also, a lighter trailer wouldn't be as heavy duty. Which is fine for occasional use, or if it's a temporary purchase. For long term ownership a little beefier metal is nice :icon_welder:

I'm not paid or endorsed by them, but check out E-trailer.com, there's other retailers too. But browse through the brake options and start making a list in excel of prices/parts and what might work for you. Weather adding some wiring isn't a big deal (your vehicle and trailer), or just add a surge system and call it good. There's also a good information section on there that I used heavily when I replaced the single axle surge system on my trailer with all wheel electric self-adjusting drums. Night and day difference, probably because I doubt the surge system worked anymore LOL.

It will help the re-sale value of your trailer too should you choose to get something different down the line.

EDIT: HA, awesome. My 2,000th post!

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If there isn't a data plate; you're not lying - GVWR is 920kg (2,000lbs) as it lacks brakes...

Trick is: you need to avoid putting more that 320kg (749lbs) in it or you are over weight...

U-Haul 5x8 trailer has to be build to withstand customer abuse, e.g. my loading a skid of sod and pulling it through axle deep mud to my place, something a 240kg (500lb) trailer wouldn't do or at least not repeatedly.

Thinking out loud - U-haul trailer might BE legal (the way insurance works; it is based on law in your province/state of registration - I have checked it out as I was moving a friend from southern Ontario to Alberta via US and wanted to ensure I didn't get stopped in middle of nowhere). So depending on the plate. it might not require brakes, e.g. Alberta does require brakes unless >910kg AND >50% of towing vehicle e.g. F-250 can tow a 1,350kg (3k lb) trailer without brakes as truck weighs more than 2,700 kg (6k lbs). So, if U-haul sales rep confirms your truck is adequate; you are good to go.

For your personal trailer; local regs apply.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals