• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ham Radio Recommendation?

lairdt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I took my test and got my General. we will see how long my call will show up :)
Congrats!

You should be in the database in about 5 business days, and your license seems to be showing up in about 2 to 3 weeks.

73!

lairdt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like lots of fun stuff, but equipment sure adds up fast.
HF really seems to cost the big bucks.

I am hoping to make a Ham fest in June, maybe some deals there :icon_thumby:
You thinking of SeaPAC in June? I'll look for you. :) You might find a deal there, but only if you know exactly what you're getting - kind of tough to know unless you understand what you want to actually *do* on HF. Like any hobby it can add up, or be inexpensive - best thing to do would be to look over some friends or local hams and see waht they are doing, what gear they run, ask them what they;d do if they were starting fresh like you are - they might loan you some gear to try out, who knows!

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You thinking of SeaPAC in June? I'll look for you. :) You might find a deal there, but only if you know exactly what you're getting - kind of tough to know unless you understand what you want to actually *do* on HF. Like any hobby it can add up, or be inexpensive - best thing to do would be to look over some friends or local hams and see waht they are doing, what gear they run, ask them what they;d do if they were starting fresh like you are - they might loan you some gear to try out, who knows!
I got my call this morning its KF7UVH.:)
Is there a good repeaters to monitor? I been listening too 145.290- out of Salem its seems to be really busy,friendly and lots of nets.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
welcome to the ham world.. its SOOO much better than cb.
i like my Yaseu radios for sure. can't beat them for quality IMO.

i love 2 meter. my call is kd5vhv not that it matters for you.. you're to far away! lol

lairdt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got my call this morning its KF7UVH.:)
Is there a good repeaters to monitor? I been listening too 145.290- out of Salem its seems to be really busy,friendly and lots of nets.
Yeah, the Salem repeater is quite busy! I joined that club when I first became a ham in 2010 because of all of the traffic there, did my 1st field day with them, learned a bunch. Last year I moved to another club that's local so I don't spend the time & money for the long drive for club meetings. Found that I like the smaller local group better, more relaxed and less stress. Find someone close to you would be my recommendation.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
welcome to the ham world.. its SOOO much better than cb.
i like my Yaseu radios for sure. can't beat them for quality IMO.

i love 2 meter. my call is kd5vhv not that it matters for you.. you're to far away! lol
Well there is always irlp or echolink, on two meters :)

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, the Salem repeater is quite busy! I joined that club when I first became a ham in 2010 because of all of the traffic there, did my 1st field day with them, learned a bunch. Last year I moved to another club that's local so I don't spend the time & money for the long drive for club meetings. Found that I like the smaller local group better, more relaxed and less stress. Find someone close to you would be my recommendation.
I might check the local club were i took my test but there is really no traffic just a lot of kerchunking and few jamming :icon_confused:

lairdt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I might check the local club were i took my test but there is really no traffic just a lot of kerchunking and few jamming :icon_confused:
All depends on what you're looking for. Remember, it's not like CB where chatter is common, plus a lot talk on simplex anyway and avoid repeaters. Find when your local nets are, and join in - that will help you figure out what's really going on.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
All depends on what you're looking for. Remember, it's not like CB where chatter is common, plus a lot talk on simplex anyway and avoid repeaters. Find when your local nets are, and join in - that will help you figure out what's really going on.
Thanks for the info, ill do some searching for nets

rezmedic

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Yaesu seems to be a good quality, versatile radio.

Had a FT50R,(still have) worked like a charm for many years, currently a FT7800r in my car, 1K plus channels, 10 banks, dual band. I would recommend it in a heart beat.

lairdt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Running an FT1900 in my truck... would have gone with an FT2900 dual band, but I won the 1900 in a raffle. It's been a great radio. I also have Kenwood, Icom, and Woxun in the house - loyal to no one brand. :)

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info. I hope i'll pass, i been self studying reading some ARRL books from the library and some study guides i found on the net.

I been reading some of the Ham forums there about as bad as gun forums,
A tank full of sharks.

Dual Band/Dual VFO and Cross-band repeater, is something i wanted to get into since it sounds like what i want for hiking, but 400+ is out of my budget atm

I know a guy i help with his computers he has a few Kenwood's that he says does cross-band repeater. he want to sell them for 250$ each. i'll have to ask what models thy are.
Weenie! back in the early 90's when I bought my Dual Band/Dual VFO mobile radio (and Icom IC-2410H that I still have) it cost over $900.

Electronics have gotten cheaper since then, for that matter so has the Dollar.

AD

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
These prices are new. $259 for a good working used Dual Band/Dual VFO/Crossband-Repeater (DB/DV/CR) transceiver is a good deal. The least expensive DB/DV/CR I've seen is the ALINCO DR-635T ($340 at www.hamradio.com). I have been using my Kenwood for years but have no personal experience with Alinco.

73's N5HMJ
While it would seem that a Dual-band, dual VFO is best, and I'm not saying it isn't, I will comment tha the capability of "Crossband repeating" is far less
Useful in practice than it is in theory.

People are spoiled these days, because sophisticated dual band radios
are far less expensive today than they were when I was licensed in
the early 90's

AD (N2TBI)

Milton

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I agree that most events do not require cross-band repeating, but I use cross-band repeating a couple times a year. I work a couple of events where it takes a mobile to hit the repeater, but I need to work with a hand-held. Once a vendor puts in the hardware for dual band-dual VFO, adding cross-band repeating is pretty cheap for them.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just don't cross repeat into a repeater, you'll never get a word in edgewise, because ALL other users on the repeater must let the carrier drop for you to have a chance to get in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals