• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.3L Stalls after cold start and hard when warm.

katoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought an 88 ranger with a 2.3L and 5spd. Truck runs great, but when the engine is cold and go to start it with start just fine idle up to about 1800 rpm the drop to about a 1000 and then down to about 500 and stall. Usually have to start it 2-3 times before it is ready to go and then it is just fine. The idle speed after engine is warmed up is about 1250 rpm.

After it is warm and stop someplace for a short period of time it starts alittle hard. It somewhat sputters to life and then smooths out and idles just fine.

What I have done. New motorcraft plugs and wires. New cap and rotor. New fuel and air filters. I cleaned the IAC out, but didn't seem to help much. Thinking it may just be bad. Haven't tried disconnecting it to see if idle changes.

Truck also seems to lack power, but that may be just the way it is.

Allen

katoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would a leaking injector possibly cause these symptons?

I pulled the connector off the IAC and it changed the idle. Did the same with the map sensor. Same results. So it seems that these are probably working. It likes to warm up first before going down the road too.

It runs fine once it is up to operating temp. No hesistation or bogging.

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals