• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

long tubes

2ndSS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94, 00, 02, 06
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31" on the 02 FX4
ok I have a 2wd 94 4.0L ranger auto. my question is for u guys that added long tube headers, is it worth it? can u feel a diff? Im not sure how restricted the stock manifolds are. please

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I do not notice a significant difference. I have two more or less identical vehicles, one with headers, one with factory exhaust, both with the 4.0.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, I don't have an experience with 'em, but, I have heard that there really isn't a 4.0 upgrade that's worth the doll hairs.

Bucks per horse ratio is heavy on the antler side.

I looked at headers a few times and always end up not buying them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sorry, I don't have an experience with 'em, but, I have heard that there really isn't a 4.0 upgrade that's worth the doll hairs.

Bucks per horse ratio is heavy on the antler side.

I looked at headers a few times and always end up not buying them.

Yeah, with the 4.0 to get any real extra power you start getting into cams, and blowers, and stroker kits.

The only reason I have the headers on my Ranger is because that engine came with no exhaust at all and it was cheaper to get a header kit than buy manifolds and a y-pipe.

The engine in the B2 had headers that weren't going to work with the truck it was in at the time and so I basically traded them off for a set of manifolds and a y-pipe.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, with the 4.0 to get any real extra power you start getting into cams, and blowers, and stroker kits.

The only reason I have the headers on my Ranger is because that engine came with no exhaust at all and it was cheaper to get a header kit than buy manifolds and a y-pipe.

The engine in the B2 had headers that weren't going to work with the truck it was in at the time and so I basically traded them off for a set of manifolds and a y-pipe.
Exactly, and then it becomes, well wait, how much for a 5.0?

Back to the original question though, if it's sound you're after, I just cut out the big muffler and leave the cat and smaller muffler. I think it sounds as decent as free can sound haha

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Glad someone else posted this. It was a low priority on my list of things to do to the truck, but I had started looking into trying to find a manufacturer that makes them for my ’92. Was thinking about going with a dual exhaust setup when the current pipes & muff wear out, but if the headers don’t really make a difference, I’ll prolly just keep things stock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals