• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Guide pins for Timing Cover

twentyover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys- Long time no post.

Anyway, putting a 4.0 into a 76 Mercury Capri, it originally came with a 2.8 little brother of the 4.0

Rebuilding prior to installation, Using the high compression OHC pistons, AP rod bolts 422 cam, just a little warmed up. Soooo

My memory is failing- when I rebuilt the 2.8 years ago, I remember they had guide sleeves in the front of block in the coolant passage that registered the timing cover and provided a sturdier coolant path then just a gasket between two flat surfaces. Started the rebuild in this 4.0 a thousand years ago or so, and I don't remember if it had similiar guide sleeves . Spent most of the afternoon at Fords and old time auto parts store trying to find replacement guide sleeves. No joy, wasn't listed at Fords and the parts guy couldn't find it either.

So am I dreaming? Did the 4.0 n9t have the guide sleeves? Anyone know a source for replacement sleeves if they did have them?

Mo' latter

greg fast

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can't remember ever seeing timing cover guide pins on a 4.0.

I was just in one today doing stuff with the front cover off and it didn't have any.

twentyover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Curious if I was or was not crazy, I started searching. While I have sub-standard google-fu, I came across a picture that stirred a memory.

http://www.shop-fordv6.de/en/engine-block/628-v6-adapter-stirnraddeckel-f-block.html

I European vintage sportscar racing it is important to look period correct. The adapter plate in the link above permits using the timing cover for a 2.8l on a 2.9. What this did was que a memory of a feature that I had forgotten. The 4.0 timing cover can ride against the block with just a gasket, the 2.8 cam gear needed to be larger in diameter than the 4.0 cam chainwheel. It made the timing cover too tall to ride against the block, so a stamped steel plate was used to seal the back of the timimg cover where it projected above the block.

Since the cooling system was pressurized, any deformation of the stamped plate around the block-timing cover transfer ports would yield a leak. To prevent the leak, the guide sleeves and O-rings were used to effect a good seal

So my memory was correct, just incomplete,

Thanks for your response. It prompted me to try to remember more
:beer:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals