• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bought a ’92 Ranger - Bad Vibration on the Way Home

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, folks.

As the title says, I just bought a 1992 Ranger (4WD, 4.0 Automatic) and while bringing it home, noticed a bad vibration starting at about 45 MPH. I usually take any vehicle out on the highway before buying, but it was raining the day I went to look at her and i just needed to stop shopping for trucks. The guy I bought it from was kind of shifty, so I’m not really all that surprised that there are problems right off the bat. Luckily, I paid 1500 bucks for her, so it’s not a huge hit, but still.

Anyway, my first thought was that maybe it was an unbalanced driveshaft (had this problem on a previous vehicle years ago and it feels similar). Then I thought of other things like a bent rim, bent axle (please god, no), glazed rotors (the brakes were changed just before I bought it), or an unbalanced rim (since one of them seems to be missing any lead weights on the outside).

But then about halfway home, I noticed that the 4x4 light came on and went off a few times, and wasn’t terribly responsive when I pushed the 4x4 button on and off. I also noticed that it seemed like the front wheels might be kicking a little sand when I took off from a stop sign. The truck has that stupid electronic 4 wheel drive with automatic hubs, which I have no experience with at all.

Any thoughts of where to start? Maybe taking it to a tire shop to check the balance on the rims? :icon_confused:

Thanks a bunch.

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not an expert on 4wd but sounds like it's maybe stuck in 4wd. Maybe something stuck in the transfer case??

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not an expert on 4wd but sounds like it's maybe stuck in 4wd. Maybe something stuck in the transfer case??

I wondered about that too, because the 4WD buttons aren’t behaving properly. You have to press the 4WD button a bunch of time before it will either light up or turn off. And the LOW RANGE button does nothing, no matter how many times you hit it. I’m afraid that I may have driven the truck all the way home in 4WD without knowing it... :shok:

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it has been locked in the whole time to me. Get it unlocked and I'll bet your vibration goes away

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Possibly bad transfer case motor

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a quick update for everyone that was kind enough to chime in on the thread and those that come after.

Turns out that the problem was my fuel injectors. They were absolutely disgusting. After blowing an INCH of rotting, oily pine needles from the top of the engine, I replaced the two air intake gaskets and all six injectors (after a trip to the local parts store for a set of Torx sockets, due to needing a size 7 that my Haynes manual neglected to mention).

It was a frustrating day of cleaning, losing tools, and cursing a lot. But after 67 bucks for a rebuilt set of Bosch injectors, $23 for a set of Torx sockets, and $7 for carb cleaner, I’m up and running with NO MORE VIBRATION. HUZZAH!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals