• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission or Clutch Issue

cubewhiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1"
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
I've been having some issues lately with the transmission, but I'm not quite sure the exact problem.

A few days ago, I was having trouble shifting into gear so I added some fluid to the master cylinder and that seemed to fix the issue. However, since then, there is a terrible grinding noise that I hear if I push in on the clutch pedal for more than a second or so (in any gear...I don't think it happens in neutral). My guess is that the synchros are shot?

Then just now, I heard a sound outside and it was my truck hitting my fence. Luckily I keep my wheels turned to the side so if my truck rolls it hits the fence instead of flying into the street. In any case, when I park I put it in reverse and it must have somehow released itself. I started the truck back up and parked it again (this time with a wheel chock). I could not force it out of reverse, so I'm not sure how it let go on its own.

I fear the transmission is in need of a rebuild, but maybe some of you have other ideas as to what the problem is.

Thanks!

BTW, it's a M5OD out of a '96 Explorer. It's been in the Ranger for a few years now. The clutch is about 2 years old and is a heavy duty clutch found behind the 4.0L engines instead of the 2.9L engines.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My immediate thought was a clutch issue. But, upon further pondering, adding fluid to the clutch master might indicate that the clutch master is shot and it's by-passing fluid. The grinding noises are certainly indicative of a clutch that's not fully dis-engaged. Just because the clutch is HD doesn't mean it can't wear out, prematurely, because it's possibly been dragging for two years.

I would inspect the clutch hydraulic system for leaks to ensure you're getting the clutch to fully disengage.

cubewhiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1"
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
I haven't had to add any additional fluid since and I don't see any leaks or wet spots. My original instincts pointed towards a failing slave since that's what happened on my Jeep that caused shifting to become difficult (impossible) a few years back.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't forget that both the master and slave can by-pass internally. Usually there's some sort of leak to indicate this but not always. If the slave is cheap to swap, you might want to start there.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
id say its the slave cylinder.. grinding noise your hearing might be the throwout bearing... you can get a new slave with throwout bearing for 50 bucks or so.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
check fluid level in tranny. other thoughts if replacing slave cyl and throw out bearing you should also just replace pilot bearing, clutch and pressure plate, have flywheel turned or replace and would also (for good measure replace master cyl even if still good). it gets expensive but you don't want to have to pull tranny again anytime soon.....

these are my thoughts and I'm sticking to them:D:D:D:icon_thumby:

cubewhiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1"
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Yeah, I think you're right about the throwout bearing. I'm hoping it lasts me until the end of next week when I go on summer vacation. If it fails before then, I'm kind of screwed. :\

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals