• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

broken off pinion shaft bolt in rear axle of my 1989 bronco 2 ?

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. Long time no see. As luck would have it I'm the not so proud owner of a 1989 ford bronco ll eddie bauier edition. It Has more new and rebuilt parts on it then the originals. I noticed one day that the drivers side rear axle seal was leaking oil. So I drained the diff and pulled the cover pan. Went to remove the pinion shaft bolt that threads into the carrier to find out that the bolt is partly broke off in the carrier. So I have yet to do the axle seal because I can't get the axle out. I've never seen this happen in all my years working on these vehicles . Wondering if it's easier to break the c clips and pull the carrier and put in the one out of an old ranger axle I have. Or just swap the whole ranger axle in ? From my decodeing. both axles are 7.5 inch and 3.73 gear ratio Thanks

Last edited:

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a good time to switch to a 8.8 :icon_thumby:

You can drill and tap it but I personally have always had trouble with that.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Do a search on past threads. There was someone with the exact same problem a few (couple??) of months ago. I think he got if fixed; but, it took a lot of posts.......

bn6339

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There is a kit to extract these broken bolts from the carrier....i broke mine when converting from drum to disc on my Ranger about three years ago....I believe Amazon sells these....very simple to use and quite effective even after a couple clumsy attempts to remove the broken bolt before I bought the kit. Hope this helps....good luck! Check out this link:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZS4I3U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0031Q4D5I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=098R2MZ4PAY777KF0BJP

If the link doesnt work then type: Differential Locknut Bolt Extraction Kit ST-1440 and that should give you the right direction...

Last edited:

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the help. And the link. I thought about drilling it and Re tapping it. But I've never had good luck with that myself . I'll have to get that extractor kit and see what I can do with it thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals