• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brown Bear Build Thread

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After reading all the other build threads I decided to start my own. I purchased a 87 BII 2 wheel drive for $900. It is in great shape with a very clean interior. We call it the Brown Bear. The Brown Bear's transmission is not in great shape and requires shifting from reverse to park before going into drive. But the good news is that sequence works every time.Also there is a rust hole in the windshield pillar. I drove the Brown Bear all of 2014 with out a problem. My though was to find a four wheel drive and convert it over.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Brown Bear's brakes were making strange noises so I decided to stop driving it until I looked into it to find out what was going on. Then I came across this deal on CL. An 86 BII for $400. The owner said it was his sons and had a cracked head.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Blue Bear as we call it was not looking to good when we picked it up. It was stuffed up under a tree so I did not get much chance to look at it. But I did not care I just wanted the 4 wheel drive parts. When I got it back to the shop I started looking closer the body is in perfect condition. Not a single dent or speck of rust. The PO's son ad already removed the upper intake. I decided to put everything back and re-diagnose the problem. First thing we found was the water pump was leaking before we even turned the key. At this point I am guessing they over heated it. So I picked up a new one and put it in. I also changed the oil. Turned the key and she fired up.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's pretty good luck. So are you switching gears on which one your building ?

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still back tracking here, that is why everything is in past tense.

At this point the Blue Bear runs but that does not mean there is nothing wrong with the head or head gasket. Vacuum leaks were out of control and a PO had used $10 of electrical tape to stop a leak in a $2 vacuum hose. Off to the Local Parts store for all new vacuum hoses, PCV valve and PCV grommets. She runs better but idle is still not right. I also discovered that the muffler is missing. At the same time I discovered the Catalytic converter was missing from the brown one. That means I can't get the brown BII inspected until get a new cat.

At this point I had a trip to Uwharrie scheduled for the first weekend in May and it would be nice to have a 4 wheel drive. So I ordered a Muffler and a tow bar. I figured I could tow it to Uwharrie and back.

I got the muffler installed and also switched out the ICV which helped with my idle. At this point I felt good enough about the Blue BII to get it registered and on the road. I got plates for it on Wednesday and we were leaving for our camping trip on Friday morning. I drove it home Wednesday and Thursday night without any issues. Friday morning I hooked it up to a buddies truck and we headed off for Uwharrie.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The rust hole above the right door would make the Brown Bear a parts vehicle for me. Any rust is bad, but that location is the worse. Unless you plan to chop the top.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree. The blue one turned out to be in better shape then the brown one. After driving it for a few days the steering is sloppy. Looks like the tie rods are worn out. Replacing them tonight.

Here are a couple pics on the Dickie Bell trail in Uwharrie. It towed great 200 miles each way.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After driving the BII in the woods for 2 days I am convinced there is nothing wrong with the head or head gasket. It never over heated or lost any coolant. I will continue to keep an eye one it but I am ready to move forward with building it up.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i6NW_l6acFY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cool, looks like you have a good start.
How was uwarrie? I haven't been there yet, some friends of mine went in april and are going back in October. Hoping to come up and give mine a try up there then.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went to the Pick n Pull and grabbed leaf springs from a 98 explorer. A little more then I wanted to spend on them but its done now.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the explorer springs on. Only raised it about 15/16 of an inch. Also brushed on some bed liner in the rear.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Are they stiffer than the b2 springs? I was considering them since I do some towing

Last edited:

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am sure they are stiffer. Honestly not a whole lot of difference tho. They did fix the saggy rear so not all a waste and for trailer towing I am sure it will help. i wanted to get them on there so when I do the lift I know I am not going to change the springs. I may still add a leaf and a block to match the front when I lift it.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I may give them a try, mine doesn't have the classic sagging stance anymore since I took the weight off the back with the chop but a little more spring might help when I'm pulling the boat.

After I finish my fender chop. That will be my next project

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals