• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 power steering box to 03 r&p

Big Puddin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
351 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
Help, I'm stuck again! Stuck my complete '84 351 in a 03 Ranger, and having issues trying to hook up power steering! I can either find a high pressure hose to fit the stock 1984 E150 pump, OR, I can find a high pressure hose to fit the 2003 Ranger R&P, but not BOTH ends. I have even been to local hose building company, they don't have the correct ends to make it happen. What have you guys don't that plopped older motors into new chassis?
If I try to change over the power steering pump itself, I'm figuring it'll get into changing whole front cap on engine and all pulleys, etc, which I'd rather not do. Would certainly like to retain power steering. Your thoughts? THANK YOU FOR READING AND TRYING TO HELP, Big Puddin'

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They can't make you a custom hose ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to use a 3/8" hydraulic compression coupling to join the rack end to most of the pump's high pressure hose. Quick, inexpensive and mostly clean. Easy to duplicate if/when there's a failure.

Or, get hoses from both body and pump applications and have a custom hose built using the ends that fit. Just do a mock up with low pressure hose and clamps so the hose shop can index the two ends correctly with the correct length.

Or, Earls (and others) usually have AN style fittings for most pumps and steering units. A length of hose and field servicable swivel fittings and you can make your own hose. Jegs and Summit both fully stock Earls fittings.

Last edited:

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
84 power steering box to 03 r&p

I also did the compression fitting from a hardware store. I ran around hose shops too with none of them willing to help. It was really simple and didn't leak at all. I just cut my ranger end off right by the rack and used the hose from the power steering pump I was using. Now on the ranger I'm building I went ahead and bought an explorer rack and pinion so it would have the screw-in end....and pretty much a waste so far because I hooked up epas power steering instead.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They can't make you a custom hose ?

We make hydraulic hoses where I work, we won't touch a power steering hose, we are not insured for safety items like that.

FWLIW I went the other way, to couple my '85 steering box to an '01 Explorer I used the pressure line from a 1990 4.0 Ranger.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I made a custom line. I cut the pressure line that fits the pump in half, added a line nut, flared it, and then made another line that came from the box up to the end of my first half, flared, and joined them with a union.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals