• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Attention Gas/Oil Field Workers!!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone with a fleet vehicle that goes offroad can tell stories that would make you cringe, take things places where they have no business being and trying things they would never do if they were paying for it...
I have buddies that work for the power and gas company in the Tampa area. They all have 4x4 fleet trucks (no Fords, all Chevy and Dodges) they take everywhere. These trucks go home with them every day. I asked them about this post and they say they never had any issues with any of the trucks. They have to use 4wd almost all day long since their travel is out in the boonies over mud, and shallow water areas. When they take their lunch breaks they switch back to 2wd when they get on the highway and then switch back to 4wd when they get back into the boonies.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have buddies that work for the power and gas company in the Tampa area. They all have 4x4 fleet trucks (no Fords, all Chevy and Dodges) they take everywhere. These trucks go home with them every day. I asked them about this post and they say they never had any issues with any of the trucks. They have to use 4wd almost all day long since their travel is out in the boonies over mud, and shallow water areas. When they take their lunch breaks they switch back to 2wd when they get on the highway and then switch back to 4wd when they get back into the boonies.
They don't have lockout hubs. So either are live all the time or have a CAD.

Downside is they don't have 2Lo. :dunno:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
They don't have lockout hubs. So either are live all the time or have a CAD.

Downside is they don't have 2Lo. :dunno:
Oh, did not think about that, Bro!! But, these trucks have right at 120,000 miles on them and they use them every day and always get regular service and no major issues. I think that is so cool.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
We run ours to the same, and overall have few issues but you can definitely tell they are work trucks... things start to loosen up when you bomb a 10k lb truck down lease roads in -40* weather all winter long and drag it through the mud behind cat's in the spring.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Chevy uses a disconnect at the differential.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
my wife's S-blazer had a stuck vacuum switch at the transfer case, allowed vacuum all the time to the front axle acutator, probapbly saved it, had a bad axleshaft seal and alot of the oil was gone. if it was indeed disconnected the spiders would have been spinning away like mad in 2wd (normal) but with no oil, since the axle was "live"' the ring gear was slinging enough oil around to keep things lubricated. ive since done away with the transfer case vac switch and now have a valve to turn on/off the vaccum to the front axle. and i have 2wd low range capability now, just like in the ranger with manual hubs!

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
I have been working the oil/gas patch for over 22 years now. I have never taken any of my trucks hubs out of lock. Drove each for well over 130,000 and never even had a failure in the front end or transfer. Always, I mean always did my recommended service on everything. Just goes to show you how just a little goes a long ways.

Current truck has over 100,000 on it and never a failure and many miles on it at well over 75mph!:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals