• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Ranger questions...

BRONCMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello.
I was looking at possibly purchasing a new ranger. I'm looking at a super cab 4x4 4.0. All I can find is 3.73 equipped trucks & I was hoping to find a 4.10 geared truck with a manual transmission as I do occasionally tow a 6x12 tandem axle enclosed trailer in the 3000 to 4000 lb range. I noticed Ford has higher towing capacities with the auto option, but I would think the m5od would be a stouter choice as long as you know how to use a clutch. What has me puzzled though is why Ford would rate the 3.55 equipped truck to tow 5800 with an auto & 3340 with the manual. Now with 3.73s or 4.10s it is rated LESS at 3100/ 5560. Why would they rate a taller geared truck to tow more as that much more stress would be placed on the drivetrain. I'm sure the 8.8 axle is plenty strong enough as these axles use to be uses in the 150s & broncos. Also to those that do tow, would you try to get them to find a 4.10 geared truck & do a dealer trade or something or just settle for 3.73s. Also is there much of a mpg difference unloaded with 3.73s vs 4.10s?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The hard parts of an auto trans are stronger than a manual because the gears are constant mesh and have more contact surface.

3hokies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
More than likely you won't find any Rangers in stock anywhere with anything but the 3.73 axle. Most dealers aren't going to order anything else. I've got 3 and the all have 3.73s.

grey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The hard parts of an auto trans are stronger than a manual because the gears are constant mesh and have more contact surface.
Gears in a syncro box are meshed all the time too ;)
The weak link in the manual tranny is probaby the clutch.... Slip too much, add more skinny pedal and wooooooooo! Magical black smelly smoke!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger has a mutant 8.8. It has a 8.8 ring and pinion but still has the same shafts and axle bearings as a 7.5.

It is hard to tell with the gearing thing, it could be tires or something too. Usually they play with tire sizes to come out with the same ratio in the end, 3.73 or 4.10 trucks have bigger tires than 3.55 trucks so they come out running the same rpm down the road. They might want a thinner more stable tire for towing heavier loads. :dntknw:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
More than likely you won't find any Rangers in stock anywhere with anything but the 3.73 axle. Most dealers aren't going to order anything else. I've got 3 and the all have 3.73s.
The two ranger's I've owned (2000, and 2002) have both been stock with 4.10's...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
All the newer ones with the traction control and rear discs seem to all be 3.73 diffs in em.

I towed 5500 lbs 24 foot travel trailer with my 05 sport trac, 4.0L SOHC and 5R55E auto trans with 4.10's and it was ok.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's possible that I could learn to like you. Not likely, but possible.

An auto is fantastically stronger than a manual. A C5, 50% lighter than a Ranger M50D 5-speed, can be built to live behind a 500hp 460. No part inside the C5 is too large to use for the FOB on a gas station bathroom key.

What adsm08 means is that internally, there are no load spikes like you see with a manual. It clicks from gear to gear smoothly with one thing releasing as the other engages. They have the timing down pat. On some early autos--late 40s, early 50s, there was a hydraulic coupler behind the torque converter. They would empty the fluid out of the coupler, change the gear, then fill the coupler back up to reattach the engine. It's not necessary anymore because they have the timing sorted out so it's seamless and instant. The drawbacks of an auto have almost completely disappeared, which is why a manual is no longer offered in many vehicles. I think the auto in a late model Ranger is completely fixed as well. The torque converter is the only heat source in an auto that requires the cooler, and with the lock-up converter, you almost don't need a tranny cooler. Some early engines had a finned aluminum converter and no external cooler. The auto posts better EPA ratings in some applications and it could be very soon that the only reason you would have a manual shift around was for fun. it might be that way now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The two ranger's I've owned (2000, and 2002) have both been stock with 4.10's...
Options have been falling left and right as the Ranger nears the end of production.

Dealers don't really care about them so they don't get very creative about what they order either.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
It's possible that I could learn to like you. Not likely, but possible.

An auto is fantastically stronger than a manual. A C5, 50% lighter than a Ranger M50D 5-speed, can be built to live behind a 500hp 460. No part inside the C5 is too large to use for the FOB on a gas station bathroom key.

What adsm08 means is that internally, there are no load spikes like you see with a manual. It clicks from gear to gear smoothly with one thing releasing as the other engages. They have the timing down pat. On some early autos--late 40s, early 50s, there was a hydraulic coupler behind the torque converter. They would empty the fluid out of the coupler, change the gear, then fill the coupler back up to reattach the engine. It's not necessary anymore because they have the timing sorted out so it's seamless and instant. The drawbacks of an auto have almost completely disappeared, which is why a manual is no longer offered in many vehicles. I think the auto in a late model Ranger is completely fixed as well. The torque converter is the only heat source in an auto that requires the cooler, and with the lock-up converter, you almost don't need a tranny cooler. Some early engines had a finned aluminum converter and no external cooler. The auto posts better EPA ratings in some applications and it could be very soon that the only reason you would have a manual shift around was for fun. it might be that way now.

that reminds me of riding in some old gassers....big rush of long forgotten memories:icon_thumby:

BRONCMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, instead of buying a new ranger I found a complete powertrain out of an
06 to swap in. Its a 4.0 sohc, 5R55E transmission, transfer case, all accesories, wiring harness, & ECU. I even got the front driveshaft. Lol. I didn't want an auto, but couldn't pass it up. Looks like I have a spring project in order now. It should be a one of a kind truck when its all finished.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think that's a good setup. I wouldn't have any concerns about using an '06 auto.

BRONCMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, they definitely are a lot better than the old A4LD. I had a 98 with a 5R55 & it went 225k before being replaced. I just kind of liked shifting my own gears with this truck, but I'm sure ill get used to the auto.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals