• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger stalled while driving home and won't start back up

Mattj96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, after finally getting my truck back from the shop for a new ac blower and new wheels, driving home the truck stalled and now won't start back up. It's an 06 with just under 140k and it lost power coming around a corner and died. When I go to start it back up it cranks and turns over a few times very roughly, as if its running on 3 or 4 cylinders, and then dies. Its not throwing any obd code and if I get on the gas while i start it the motor turns over like once before dying. To be clear in case I'm using the wrong terms, when I turn the key the motor does start normally and quickly as always, but idles extremely rough for a few seconds, and then dies.

Last edited:

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
Check that all of the plug wires are on all the way. The mechanic could have knocked something loose. Also look for large vacuum lines that are disconnected or split. Visual inspection of anywhere around where they were working may find your issue.

Other than that, it sounds like it may be out of time. I'm unfamiliar with the 3.0. Does it have a distributor or is it an electronic ignition?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Could be clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump
Do 50/50 test
Pull off the Large Air Tube on the upper intake, the one from the air filter housing
Put some gasoline in a spray bottle or buy some Quick Start(ether in a spray can)
Have some one crank the engine with gas pedal down a bit and spray in fuel manually and see if engine stays running.
If you can keep it running by adding fuel manually then fuel flow is your problem not spark/ignition.
If engine still dies then spark/ignition is the issue
50/50

Fuel filter is $10, change it first

Also when did you last get gas?
You could have got some "bad gas", gas with too much water in it, water is heavier than gasoline, so sinks to the bottom of the gas tank.........................
And the bottom of the gas tank is where the fuel pump sucks in the gas(or water)
Water of course won't ignite in an engine :)

And have to ask, do you know there is gas in the tank, not what gauge says, do you KNOW for sure???

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals