• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

arrrrg! ball joints!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
My job on this is to get the proper tools, have a pickle fork, but which would a better tool to buy or rent?

Further reading brings me to the big C clamp/press for the boll joints.

Can the camber bushings be marked and put back about where they were when the new ball joints are in. (still need adjustment I'm sure. )

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am partial to a proper ball joint press tool. They look like a C-clamp, but are much much heavier. I just rent the master kit at Advance, its like $230 deposit but you get it all back, so worth the trip. I have damaged standard duty C-clamps compressing brake calipers.

The camber slugs can be marked, but it isn't real accurate, and will probably still require adjustment.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thanks, Ron adsm I'm not a fan of big heavy hammers and renting the Big C makes lots of sense. Looks like the R side axle U joints bad too. My "trusted" shop said I didn't need ball joints but the R lower moves like a 3/8" eek!
Sigh.

Gotta love Youtube LOL
https://youtu.be/37NgLM4tIzw

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
ok.. still doing my studies on this ..

The right front axle has a slip joint under the boot right? (1993) it appears so whel laying under the truck in the rain lol

Also only the lower ball joint is loose. can the knuckle be removed and not damage the upper? which is still tight. (I know do them both. )

Thinking something like this is what's needed?

Last edited:

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7249.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplpOTC7249&sc_intid=OTC7249&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMciu9Q3BzjvhvLAJ-jhExRuV8yc_eFgxW_RuHmjHTJkaAoNH8P8HAQ

this is the proper tool for ball joints. Not only using the right, tool, but a good one makes a lot of difference in how well the job goes, I have done quite a few in my day, and I can tell you from experience, its worth it to get a good one. Orielly's are usually bent, and that makes them hard to use.

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
A sucky ball joint tool can make the job harder. I used one from AutoZone and it didn't fit perfectly, so it took a little finagling. One of the joints installs right next to a radius on the spindle, making it so the tool won't fit properly. Anyway, that kit in the video looks pretty good - especially the cups with the cutaways.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Thnjs everyone, youtube is great for learing! I Watch dozens of them when stsrting a project.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do enough front end stuff that I bought my own Ball Joint press. Napa sells the OTC kit and so does Matco. they are not priced to bad for the basic kit, and you can get a master adapter set from Harbor Freight if you need more adapters. I bought the basic OTC kit on the Matco truck, and so far its been just fine.

Honestly to get better than the OTC, you will need to pony up the big money and by a Snap On ball joint press.

But if you only do yours once every couple of years, its probably not worth buying.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'll rent the press from advanceauto or autozone not a prob. I have 40 years of contracting tools hvac tools and equipment, my sons' auto tools .. a full woodworking shop.. don't need "more" tools LOL

This is, imo one of the best Youtube vids on this topic. Long and talky.. but that's a good thing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi9cBU1zHFg

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
gotta love old school!

scary at first...

This from Harbor fright worked on the tie rod. but can't fit in between the beam and steering knuckle.

so it was the Pickle Fork. 3 whacks to set it.. 3 whacks to pop.. then oh.. the stupid nut was self locking spinning the stud.. pressed back in. took off the nut.. One whack down out it came!

Down the basement with pipe, vise, BFH the bottom without the snap ring came right out with only a few whacks on the stud. the top. used a pipe and bfh.

So.. getting there..

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
U dont need a pickle fork and i find them alot harder to use than just a hammer. Just hit around the taper of the ball joint with a heavy ball peen. If youre a good shot and can smack it hard theyll pop free within a few blows. U can get the ball joint out with the round end of the ball peen which again i find is quicker and easier. As for installing u need to rent a proper ball joint press, ive air hammered them in before with the proper cones but its not as safe.

And disregard that lol i thought u had ifs. I always take those ones out with an air hammer personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals