• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II 4x4 Ball Joints

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How difficult are these to do? I've only done ball joints on my 80 camaro and this is a totally different suspension. I'm gonna try and knock all four out tomorrow so any tips are appreciated. It looks like the axles slip out after removing the brakes and hubs. From there I planned on driving the knuckle loose with a pickle fork. Can I press both the upper and lower in before I reinstall the steering knuckle?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are mostly on the right track. You get the rotor off, then there is a spindle that has to come off. Five 15mm nuts hold it on. There is a special socket to use with a slide hammer, or you can get a chisel behind it and pop it off. Then the axles can come out.

Driver's axle just comes out, passenger side is clipped into the diff and you have to take the diff off the beam to remove the whole thing. I just undo the boot at the center of the long axle and remove only the outer section.

Ball joints are in the knuckle, not the beam, and so the knuckle has to be off to remove or install them, which would still be true if they were in the beam.

It takes me about two hours to do both sides. But I have done it a few times and have lots of power tools.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Two hours for both sides? I've had this thing 5 years and replaced everything but the steering including doing a 4.0, M5OD, mustang rear discs, and a 5 inch lift. This might be easier than I thought lol. I was thinking this job would take me a day per side but that's mainly due to how damn dirty the steering is from the 2.9 leaking everywhere and I couldn't see what I had to remove.

How do I undo the passenger side boot? I've honestly never noticed a boot in there but I never really looked.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think originally there was a crimp clamp on either end of the boot, like on a CV shaft, but all the ones I have ever worked on the clamp was gone and you could just pull the boot over. I usually secure them back in place with a zip tie around the end of the boot.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think removing the spindle is usually the worst part of the job. I bought the socket for removing them and sometimes have resorted to beating the snot out of the socket with a 3lb sledge. As a direct result of that sort of nonsense, I clean the area really good and coat it with an appropriate amount of marine grease when I put the spindle back on.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What is this socket? These spindles are absolutely stuck to the knuckle.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The socket is a piece that screws onto the threaded portion of the spindle and then connects to a slide hammer. I own one now but previously a chunk of 2x4 and a 3lb sledge worked for me. Beat on the 2x4 that is placed against the furthest out portion of the spindle, this is the threaded part. First a couple whacks towards the front, then a couple towards the back. Keep going back and forth until you have created a gap that can fit a prybar, then pry the spindle off.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got it. It wasn't pretty and she didn't want to let it go but it came off.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I guess I should have mentioned that part of why my ball joints go so fast is that I have had my spindles off already, so they usually just fall off once the nuts are removed.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lmao I figured that as soon as I got it back together. Which was actually just now so 10 hours on just the drivers side. Would have been 9 but I forgot to put the caliper back on when I went to move it lol. I bet I can get the passenger side done way quicker now that I know how to get the spindle off and which way the ball joints go in. Oh... yeah... I was cranking on the lower ball joint for two hours and swearing at it. In the wrong direction. Both came out with a hammer in 5 minutes after I got that situated.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ball joints go up. Every one that I can think of that needs pressed moved in the direction of the stud to come out.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do the axles need to come out to remove the knuckles?

Mine (1990 Ranger) as too much play on both sides - is replacing the ball joints the only cure, or is there any adjustment?

Thanks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

Mine (1990 Ranger) as too much play on both sides - is replacing the ball joints the only cure, or is there any adjustment?

Thanks
You could replace the whole front axle assembly....

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Thanks
Ball joints, radius arm bushings, pivot bushings and wheel bearings will all cause the wheels to flop around.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I wasn't clear. The ball joints are the problem - I just wasn't sure if they could be adjusted, or if the only thing is to replace them.
Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals