• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Issues

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Took my Bronco II in for an alignment after lifting it and it's very hard to control the steering. I do have a dropped pitman arm and axle beam drop brackets. He got the toe and camber in spec but the caster is still -4.9 on the left and -8.8 on the right. He wouldn't adjust it further because the wheel bearings are loose on one side. Now, I know my tie rods are all bad and it never drove great but it did still drive and steer on the highway. My plan is to replace the tie rods, tighten the wheel bearing nut since I know I forgot to snug it, and get them to fix the caster.

Is there anything else that would cause it to dart all over the road?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
What coils, drop brackets and drop pitman arm did you use?

Did you also get radius arm drop brackets? Or make some extended radius arms?

The caster will be corrected when you drop the radius arms down enough to allow the beam to rotate backwards to the point where your caster will be about 5 degrees.

How's the angle on your steering? Have any pics?

Last edited:

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh man I didn't even stop to think for a second about how lowering the suspension without addressing the radius arms would cause the arms to yank the beams toward the rear of the vehicle. No wonder why the caster is so far negative. I suppose radius arm brackets are next on my list. I used moog front coils for an f150 and the brackets and pitman arm were from tuff country. The steering angle was greatly improved with what I've done already so I don't think that's my issue.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah you'll want to get some radius arm drop brackets to help correct the caster. With those in place you should be able to fine tune it with adjustable bushings.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just ordered them. Luckily I got the lifetime alignment lol.

Rustbucket350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah. Good call on the radius arm brackets. Popped those in and it drives like a 100% different vehicle. As soon as I busted the radius arm crossmember loose the whole front axle popped way forward. Maybe that's why the alignment guy thought the steering was binding lol. Its actually driveable now although I'll still take it back to have them get it in spec.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals