• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questionaire supercharged 4.0 OHV

travisswett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger super
Transmission
Automatic
O.K. I have been doing some research on supercharging a 4.0 ohv engine. No one realy makes a good kit for this. Now with that being said. i want to bolt up an m112 Eaton charger to your 4.0. How many people would be intrested in doing so. I see a need for this and want to make it happen. Now there are two ways of doing this use factory upper plenum and use the t-bird tubing (modified) or building a custon upper plenum for the 4.0 using a water cooled intercooler. Much like the ford lightning uses... This is the way i realy want to go. another thing is the m90 is old the m112 is a new charger from eaton from the 2008 mustang shelby gt 500 capable of much more boost than the m90. I don't want money just help making this a reality, I will give specs and all info to the forum, But would like anyone interested to help with the project. :icon_welder:

travisswett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger super
Transmission
Automatic
so 17 people have looked at this and not one post hmm. owell i'll do it myself.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i would love a decent supercharger for a 4.0. i just dont see me having the money for something like that for a long time.

travisswett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger super
Transmission
Automatic
well it's not the sc cost it's all the other stuff you need. I am going to make a kit that is as simple to make as i can. i mean blue prints for the billit plenum and everything i do. i have wanted to do this since i bought this truck and no one currently makes a kit or offers one that is worth the money.

I'm a pipefitter by trade pipe fabrication and manifold is what i do well for hvac systems and chilled water systems. I have what i think to be a good way of doing this but will need technichal data to make it work well. I want to get 20 lbs of boost from my 4.0 and want a nice clean well thought out system to do it. anyone can build a system,I want one that lasts. so if anyone has angles of the heads or any print showing this it would be greatly appreciated. i love my truck, it's just too weak.

Last edited:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
20lbs of boost would require a complete build up of the motor i think. there is no way the stock internals would be able to handle it. the few SC 4.0 kits i have seen run at around 5lbs i think

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just about any engine will tolerate 5psi of boost.

the building comes in when people try to run more.

As for an Eaton M112?
Why? and M90 is overkill for what a 4.0OHV can handle...

the next issue is you can get any engine to make almost
any power level.... for a short time... but what are you going
to do about a transmission?

Remember that ANY kind of "forced induction" increases TORQUE
and Torque is what eats transmission parts....

I've already SNAPPED OFF my transmission output shaft
in a 4.10 geared 4.0 supercab running on 235/75-15 Goodyear RT-S tires...

What do you think is gonna happen with more torque?

Frankly I'd love to have a paxton on my 4.0 but I'd for damned
sure never get on it in 1st gear...

AD

AD

Last edited:

np24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm currently working on pulling my new 4.0ohv back together to swap into my truck. I managed across the adapter plate that bolts to the lower intake and accepts the eaton m62 off of an 02 nissan xterra. I still have a few issues to work out, like the intake pipe for the blower. I didn't get the original or the one for the ranger from the kit, but I think i have an idea that will work.

I'm only looking to be pushing about 5psi, which will be more than enough for me.

There was a couple of companies that made kits for the ohv several years back, but the demand was not what it needed to be, so they were discontinued around the same time the ohv was.

travisswett

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger super
Transmission
Automatic
well if the adapter plate i thinking that you have gotten is good it doesn't use an intercooler. that is the main reason most run 5 psi boost on motors. and the engine i'm building for the truck is far from stock.

oh and i'm gonna put a stick shift in it

np24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah, it doesn't have an intercooler. i'm not too worried about it. megasquirt will be set up to be able to see the output temperature of the blower and be able to adjust for it.
there isn't any room under the blower to put one. the blower would have to be mounted off to the side for clearance reasons. pull the a/c compressor and put it over there and then pipe it back up.
the ones for the sohc have tons more room under them, so a water intercooler could be squeezed in.
if you used a centrifugal blower, you could pipe in an intercooler easily, but you loose the instant boost of the screw type.

RangerJake

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm planning on supercharging my 4.0 and I was wondering if anybody happens to know if you need to do anything with the ECU or if it will just figure it all out on its own. Has anybody done this yet?

guzzirider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am in Las Vegas and I would love to supercharge my 93 XLT

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i want to sc my 94 bad

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've supercharged a few of the 4.0 OHV's with centrifugal and roots style blowers - the main reason to keep the boost low is because of the construction of the pistons - the stockers can take up to 6# with no real problems, but going higher in the boost range requires forged pistons and some way to control timing to prevent detonation (not to mention some method of lowering downstream temps to prevent the PCM from pulling timing - h20 / meth injection works extremely well). Also, as the early 4.0's are EEC-4, it's really difficult to find someone that can reasonably tune a chip for these things with superchargers - the 96+ EEC-5 are a lot easier.

As AllanD previously said, the M90 is perfectly capable of supplying all the 4.0 can use, but would require re-pullying the S/C to get decent boost levels (above 5#) and, as he also said, the transmissions aren't built to handle a big increase in power output.

All that being said - with the cost to build up a 4.0 to actually create / handle the power of high boost (forged pistons, cam, P&P heads, etc) and the attendant costs of fabrication of the supercharger system, it's just plain simpler and cheaper to drop in a 5 liter.

One of these days, I'll probably get back into the 4.0 OHV - got a built shortblock and 3 different S/C systems in the shop that will fit - a new, complete Paxton kit, an M90 T-Bird setup with proper manifold and an M-62 kit. Just gotta get motivated..............

Bird

ps. np24 - get a 45 degree adapter made for yours to mount up a Supercoupe thottle body - already has the IAC built into it.

Last edited:

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
3.8mustang,com and v6power,com both have adapters already designed and built being sold both as just adapters and they have complete kits. Kits run about 1500.00 They have them for the 3.8 liter and the 4.0.

RangerJake

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wow lot's of nay sayers on here. Everyone has a reason not to do something when all we want is help on how to do it. Sure we sould drop in a 5.0 but thats been done to death I've never seen a SC4.0 (in real life) and thats one of the reasons I want to do it. I don't want to have the same cookie cutter setup that everyone else has. So I think I'm gunna just build a manifold and buy a megasquirt and figure it all out on my own. thanks for all your help guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals