• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 b2300 gas gauge dont work

rj22beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
fule pump works, gas gauge went out, i unplugged the sending unit for the gas tank, and then the gauge rose to full, then if i plugged it back in, it wound move till i turned the key off and on again, then it wound drop to empty again, dose anyopne know where the fule pump relay would be located so i could check that and see if it got connection, all other gauges work, and there only 141k miles on it, 97 b2300 4cylinder, thanks you for the help, if anyone has ever had this problem before, i would hate to go buy parts i dont need, anyone help?

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the wiring diagram for my 94 B4000 and I am pretty much assuming that they will be very close if not exactly the same there isn't much that can go wrong in that circuit. You say you are getting fuel so it is not the fuel pump relay as that has nothing to do with the function of the gauge. You said you disconnected the sending unit and the gauge moved to full. The sender is attached to a critter called the anti-slosh module. I don't know if these go bad but since your gauge moves when it is an open circuit I will make the presumption that it is OK. So that is narrowing down your possibilities to the sending unit itself as if it were a connection going to the sending unit then the gauge movement would not occur when you unplug it. I am also presuming you unplugged the sending unit where it connects on top of the fuel tank. If not then you may have a pinched or chaffed wire grounding the gauge between the point where you unplugged the harness and the sender. So worst case scenario is that your sending unit is either stuck, the float has gone bad, or it just gave up altogether. If this is the case you have 2 options one is dropping the tank to get to the plate on top of the tank that allows you to service the fuel pump and sending unit or two lift the bed which will allow you access to the top of the fuel tank. Knowing what I know about my truck lifting the bed is much easier than dealing with the skid plates and heat shields to drop the tank.

Edited Note: Wiring diagram below.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/1994b4000instrumentclus.jpg/

Last edited:

rj22beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
i took and lifted the bed when i was working on it, and thx so much for the help, but i think that the fule pump relay is not getting a full circuit but but i have no idea where the fuel pump relay is located on the truck i have no manual, but i took the whole fuel pump out of the tank when i was working on it and everything looked good no corrosion on the wires or anything and the float looked good, the ome"s reader red 114 at the top on full and 14 on the bottom when we moved the float to empty, im intending to think its the gauge but you cant just change the gauge i think i have to get the whole cluster becaus its on a circuit board,

Uncle Ron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I drove for 8 years with a non-functional gas gauge. When the Fuel Filler Hose rotted out I replaced the Fuel Sender Assembly while I had the bed off. Gauge came back to life. During the first week of driving I wasn't paying attention to the mileage anymore and almost ran out of gas!

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like your sender in the tank. I battled this and won just yesterday. I tried every way you can to fool that gauge in to working. I even made a 100 ohm resister to put in line to fool it to think it had fuel.
Nothing worked. I had to open the tank and change the pump so I did the sender too.
Installed new sender and pump and all works perfectly. \GET YOU A Strainer if you open the tank. My strainer was desovled in the tank. I guess from crap gas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals