• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger and windsor 1970 302 swap

the_ders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger 3.0, manual 5-speed. I have another truck, 1970 F100 with a 302 that I rebuilt and bored, over sized pistons, cam, ect. a few years back. I want to do a swap with the 302 in my ranger and was wondering what type of transmissions would be a good conversion with my transfer case and stuff. Or if I could just get a conversion plate and use my original ranger transmission (if it could handle the extra hp). I thought about using the original transmission in the F100 but I it doesnt have a transfer case. Also a side note, I'm planning on doing an SAS conversion using dana 44s, so this engine wont ruin my axles and I kinda wanted to do it anyway. Any advice or links to websites would help thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, to the 3.0l trans and also transfercase.

You want the M5OD-R2 trans/transfercase from a 1997 and up F-150 with 4.2l V6 4x4

The M5OD-R2 is the bigger brother of your current M5OD-R1.
The 4.2l V6 has the same trans bolt pattern as 302, ford small block.

In 1997 the M5OD-R2 came with shifter farther back than previous years, so lines up pretty close with Ranger's shifter hole.
You can use earlier M5OD-R2s, from 5.0l(302), you just need to have the shifter arm customized to clear the dashboard and of course make a bigger hole :).

I assume you will not want the computer, and that should be OK on a 2000 because speed sensor is on the rear axle and goes to ABS module where it is corrected for tire size then sent out to speedometer, also cruise and computer.
So computer is an end user not the source of speedo signal.

And I think oil pressure and engine temp gauges are still analog in 2000, so they should be good, on later years the computer runs these gauges

If you are running a carb you will need a pressure regulator to reduce in tank fuel pump pressure.

Conversion info here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-conversions.shtml

Last edited:

the_ders

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats some good info thanks. Is the transfer case on that manual? and will my hydrolic clutch line up pretty good for the M5OD-R2 fine?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Your Clutch Master is OK to use with R2 Slave

F-150s came with electric shift and manual shift transfer cases
Borg Warner BW4406 was used from around 1997 to 2005 on F-150s
BW1356 was used in late '80's and 90's, which will also work.

Manuals are usually harder to find since they were special order, stock was electric shift as odd as that sounds.
But manual transmissions are now special order, automatic is standard equipment, lol, pay extra for a clutch pedal

manual trans
manual transfer case
Roll up windows
no power door locks
no AC

They just don't build trucks that way unless you special order

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals