• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L Engine Clack

trioxin1308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi All,

Two days ago I had a bit of a surprise from my 03 manual transmisison Ranger with 68,000 miles on it. As soon as i revved over 2000 rpm a distinct clacking started and rate of clack was proportional to engine rpm. Clack is really the best descriptor of the noise. It does it mostly when the engine is under load in any gear. In neutral it can do it, but generally requires several repeated revs to get it to occur, and then its usually at higher revs than 2000. It will not always do it, sometimes you can get through the gears without barely hearing it. Engine can be cold or warm and it sounds pretty much the same.

I did a compression check (190 psi +/- 5), plugs looked okay, only one was eroded a bit more than the rest. The oil is a nice golden color and no metal particles are visible to the best of my eye. Checked and cleaned the PCV valve and the tube going back to the intake manifold. I checked all the heatshields/guards i could find and didnt see anything loose. We took a stethescope and were not able to isolate the location but it does seem to come from the left side of the engine (as standing in front of the truck facing it).

Without any solid insight past what had been done, I stopped by the dealership and took a service guy for a ride so he could hear it. His comment was that outside the truck he thought it something loose vibrating, and once i took him for a ride he said probably detonation. As a result I picked up a bottle of octane boost and filled the rest of the tank (only 6 gallons filled it up) with premium fuel. I've drove 20 miles or so and had it idle about a half hour since and not been able to notice a difference. Do I need to go longer to rule this out?

I have a Carchip (ODBII monitor), and the only two error codes are ones i've had for two years, P1450 and P0457 so I don't think they come into play. Using the carchip the max timing advance I see is about 55 degrees, is this a normal range?

Like Vw_Guru_06, my ranger has always sucked up some coolant, and air blows out of the engine oil fill when the motor is running.

Also posted this over on ranger power sports, but any input as to what I can do or check would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Trioxin

kditchley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.7 289c.i.
Transmission
Automatic
mine is making this same sort of noise butit doesn't start till around 2500rpms and gets louder the higher the rpm's go.

Incinr8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Exaust leak?

Tractorman86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Loose cams?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Did you recently run low on oil? Have you tried engine additives like Lucas oil treatment?

It may not be internal, but it certainly sounds like what mine did recently. I was hauling some weight lond distance and when I restarted on the way home it was pretty loud clacking. The oil was low...

I've been running about a half liter of Lucas in every oil change trying to slow down some blowby...you might try that to see if it clears it up...

Could also be an exhaust leak but you would have picked that up with the stethescope...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Did you recently run low on oil? Have you tried engine additives like Lucas oil treatment?

It may not be internal, but it certainly sounds like what mine did recently. I was hauling some weight lond distance and when I restarted on the way home it was pretty loud clacking. The oil was low...

I've been running about a half liter of Lucas in every oil change trying to slow down some blowby...you might try that to see if it clears it up...

Could also be an exhaust leak but you would have picked that up with the stethescope...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals