• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wife gets Edge, I get my choice V8 Explorer or Ranger?X

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My lady got her choice in an 08 AWD Edge. It is nice and I am glad to get it for her. I am in a quandery, I can only keep one, darn. We got some upcoming expenses and we could use a few thousand bucks. I like my Ranger, but I can sell it for more than the Explorer.

It is my AWD Ranger, described in my signature below.
VS
2001 Explorer Limited V8 loaded: sunroof, Mach Audio, Heated leather seats, etc. etc., A very nice old "X".

What would you keep and why?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buh-by Ex.

You like playing with your Ranger obviously and the Ex competes with your wife's Edge for a people mover. It is nice to have a truck around.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah....what he said

SignalZero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you sold the Ranger and changed your mind in a year or so, how much would it cost you to get another and duplicate the mods you have? Chances are a lot more than the difference in selling price over the Explorer. So I'd play it safe and sell the Explorer.

If it was a dime-a-dozen Ranger, I'd say cash in to cover your expenses and keep the Explorer. :dunno:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree with everyone above.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Yep. Ditch the Explorer

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well that Ranger doesn't sound like it's much use as a truck anymore, seeing as how it's lowered and all, but I still agree with everyone else. The Explorer represents a duplicate vehicle now with an Edge (fail to see the appeal in those stupid things) in the house, so keep the Ranger. At least it still has it's bed that you can haul messy things in, even if you can't put heavy stuff in it.

Personally, I'd keep the Ranger, keep the Explorer, and sell the Edge, but I'm sure that isn't really an option.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Well that Ranger doesn't sound like it's much use as a truck anymore, seeing as how it's lowered and all, but I still agree with everyone else. The Explorer represents a duplicate vehicle now with an Edge (fail to see the appeal in those stupid things) in the house, so keep the Ranger. At least it still has it's bed that you can haul messy things in, even if you can't put heavy stuff in it.

Personally, I'd keep the Ranger, keep the Explorer, and sell the Edge, but I'm sure that isn't really an option.
Agreed, although I bet the Edge beats both in terms of gas mileage. For a people/children mover (if you have or plan to have kids) it's the way to go given how crap minivans have gotten (the Toyota Siennas and Honda Odysseys are decent though). I'm married (as of 5/30/2015) and while my wife loves my truck, she doesn't love driving it (and that's after swapping seats and modding the throttle cable to match her petite legs). Sometimes you gotta swallow you pride (and manhood) and get what she wants, for her to drive. And this is why I'm stuck working on a 2003 Taurus all the time... back on topic!

Trucks are special. Modded ones more so... especially in that often times mods devalue vehicles when it comes to resale value. Given how many twits out there butcher mods and don't do them right (and sell the vehicle to cut their losses), it makes us who do mods the right way look bad and our vehicles that much harder to sell (hence why, to the annoyment of my inlaws, I never plan on selling my Ranger). Besides, few people mod their vehicles because they want to get rid of it.

So if the Ranger is modded (and you did a good job of it) and the Explorer stock, I'd ditch the Explorer.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
good responses, thanks
I can get twice the amount for the Ranger, mileage is a wash with running premium in the Ranger regarding cost. The Vedge is all about comfort and ride for the wife, decent mileage for a crossover and seats four adults very comfortably. It rides nice, pulls decent but has boar like soft springs. We want to keep it nice, therefore we like camping out of the old X. We can keep all our toys and food bear safe in the Explorer.......it is nice to leave camp with everything for lunch and gear, not loading and unloading. I could get a camper shell, but I am leaning towards the dark side. I have built several 302/Windsors. The X might get a blower too. The X is AWD with tow package, wanting a pop-up camp trailor.................I would like additional input?
I am going to check into the head problem that is on the X tommorrow and compression, see what I got, should help with the decision.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Hell, if they're paid for and you have a use for all of them, keep them all. I personally have a 06 F150 Harley edition 5.4, 03 Mustang GT Conv.4.6 , 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2, and of course the Bronco II, 2.8 lol. And they all have there uses. So if you want them all and have the space and can afford them, keep them. Just my opinion.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ditch the exploder and keep the ranger just my opinion:D:beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals