• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fellow northerners...how much weight do you run in the bed during winter?

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know these trucks are light in the ass end. Just wondering how much weight you other guys that have to deal with snow run in back. I picked up 3-50 bags of play sand today, but wondering if I should pick up one more?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I usually run 250-300 lbs in mine, one is 3.73 L/S and one is 4.10 open.
Dave

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
250-300 pounds is about right for my truck. I fill sandbags every Fall and place them directly over the rear axle. The sand also comes in handy to throw out on glare ice and also if you or other folks need a little extra traction.

This year I filled the sandbags with coarse gravel instead of sand and plan to just throw it out on the driveway, come Spring. (I seem to plow away some of my driveway every year)

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I might go pick up a couple 50 lb bags of fine gravel too then. So, if I really needed it I'd have sand AND gravel available :)

Do you guys build any sort of frame out of wood or anything to keep the bags from sliding around? I have some spare 2x6's laying around and thinking about making something that will fit in between the tailgate and wheelwells.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Isolate the bags to the farthest tail end, use 2x6 lumber to keep it from moving forward under hard braking. The last thing I would want is a 50# bag of sand coming at my head in the event of a collision.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The further back, the more effective the weight is. It also greatly accentuates the rear end wanting to come around in a quick swerve, that's why over the axle, closer to center of gravity is best. By all means secure the weight.
Dave

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I generally buy empty sandbags from Amazon but I'm sure you have Tractor Supply or some other outfit that sells them. Can't think of any way to secure sandbags 100%. That is a lot of dense mass to try to corral. Thought about anchoring through the bed somehow but didn't want to penetrate the bedliner. I live in the boonies and drive very defensively.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Use 2x6 front to back and side to side jamming them against the side. Make it so there is a small compartment filled with sand and cover with plywood screwed down.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I've often thought of building some type of platform in the bed to the level of the wheel wells that would aid in boxing in the sandbags and also make plywood hauling easier. With hinged lids I could securely haul lots of things. Then again...the weight of a platform may negate the need for sandbags. Ohhh, it hurts my brain!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't run any extra weight, I just leave the bed open and run whatever the snow weighs.

I have had my truck in an uncontrolled (reads "not on purpose") spin exactly three times in 15 years of driving her. One of those was on snowy/wintry roads, and I was goofing off when I hit ice. The other two times were in the same spot near my parents' house, there is a corner where all the oil that creeps up from the asphalt collects due to the shape of the road and that caused me to loose it in the corner.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
putting the weight all the way to the rear is a bad idea.
1. it increases the chance the tail will get happy and slide sideways.
2. it takes weight off the front axle, thus decreasing the traction needed to steer and brake.

I put 300 in the rear, first 3 bags of sand against the front ,next three bags just before the rear axle. that covers the front half of the bed.
that puts the extra weight closer to the center of the vehicle which reduces tail wagging, does not try to lift the front, and is close to the rear axle for traction.
sand bags tend to conform to the shape of the bed and have never moved for me. half the winter they are frozen in place.

Perry

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Last year I ran 400 lbs right over the rear axle. I have a tool box in front of the wells that keep them from sliding forwards and a simple plywood brace that keeps them from sliding back towards the tailgate.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I run 3-60lb tube sand bags made just for the purpose. I put them in a plastic box over the rear axle strapped down with 2" ratchet straps. I bolted in some tie downs in the bed.

I cut the rear bumper down, removed the spare tire holder and have my spare tire and tools in front of the box just to eliminate much of that swing weight behind the rear axle.

Good tires are more important than weight.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good tires are more important than weight.

This. Aggressive block pattern mud tires are no match for tires that have lots of good siping in the pattern. Without heading this off into another direction, I have had great success with Goodyear Silent Armor tires. decent looking A/T tire, with exceptional snow traction. The only thing I liked more was the Michelin LTX but they get pricey.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals