• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help old 1970s briggs engine parts

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hello, My wife picked up an old riding lawn mower, it is an upright engine and a 8 hp briggs and stratton model 190702, type 0674-01

it needs a new carb. or a good carb rebuild i cannot find parts on the net for it at all. so i asking fellow tinkerers to help please

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I usually find carb parts for old motors like that at places that fix snow throwers and the like, If you have a place like that near you it might be worth asking them, might be easier and quicker than trying to find stuff on the net.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Check this site out. I'm on it mini's are another hobby of mine. There's tons of info on there and plenty of guys that will send you a carb. I might even have one you can have. Is it a pulsa jet carb or a bowl carb???
http://www.oldminibikes.com/

Wolfuss

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In my opinion - there is only one place you need to look at to get all the info you can stand...

My Tractor Forum
~Funny about that name - it ain't my website. I don't have a website these days
But OH BY THE WAY that green lettering is a link to it - take ya right there directly in fact...

You will find anything you want to know about any size trac there from HUGE to tiny (including antiques)
~and yes, that includes small riding mowers.

And the people there are as extra - EXTRAordinarily helpful as they are right here!

I think you will fall in love with that site.

But I hope I don't get in trouble here for sending someone somewhere else.

I'm a newbie here, and need to keep that in mind.

~Dutch

PS: I do the same for TRS all the time

PPS: If you want to go the direct route - here is this link (and buying parts online is a snap) BRIGGSANDSTRATTON.COM

Last edited:

boosted2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm retired now but carbs were my extra money for years. It has been my experience that mower carbs don't wear out. and there are not too many parts to it. The biggest problem with them is dirt. There's not much to them, just remove it and take it apart and clean it with mineral spirits. there are only 2 small gaskets that you can get just about anywhere that sells mowers, and such. one is on the float bowl, and one where it mounts to the eng. the only place that wears is the throttle shaft and not very often, if it's good it will be fine. while it's apart remove the mixer screw,before you remove it just count the turns till is just bearly touches the seat, then take it out and shoot some carb cleaner thru it, you will see it come thru. put it back in and lightly seat it and then back it out however many turns you counted.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hello, My wife picked up an old riding lawn mower, it is an upright engine and a 8 hp briggs and stratton model 190702, type 0674-01

it needs a new carb. or a good carb rebuild i cannot find parts on the net for it at all. so i asking fellow tinkerers to help please
Any info on the carb? Make, any numbers on it?

These things are well beyond their projected lifespan, this with moving parts wear out.

Check this out:

http://www.odref.com/briggsandstratton/

We get most of our stuff from Midwest Engine, they have a ton of stuff for various makes. We are a dealer though.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Why would you even buy a lawnmower that's 40 years old in the first place? Riding or not, how's the reliability and function?

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Carburetor Kit #299852 if the code date is before 81033000

394698 if the code date is after 81032700

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why would you even buy a lawnmower that's 40 years old in the first place? Riding or not, how's the reliability and function?
There are a lot of people that restore them, they are much easier to store and cheaper to work on than a fullsize tractor.

Some of the older ones are really cool. My brother has a mid to late 60's Homelite that my grandfather gave him, looks like a miniature tractor. Ribbed tires on the front, directional bar tires in the back, steel pan seat, cast iron grille and an actual geardrive transmission. Needs an engine though, waiting for a nice horizontal shaft engine to crawl by. 10x the machine anything being made today.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it was 20 bucks and from a guy i know getting a divorce. had it running good and mowed my yard 3 times. but now it only runs for 1 sec and would only kick over if i place it in choke pull then in pull it in run.

when it runs its a strong runner and will pop a wheelie if i let it nice lil 8 hp briggs and it feels like i am riding a self propelled push mower

it looks alot like http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=5225 but its 8 hp and no electric start

and it turns out the are highly sought after for lawn mower racing

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals