• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'87 Ranger Super 2.9L Power/Fuel Loss - Help?

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
'87 Ranger Super 2.9L - FIXED!

Disregard the need for help! This has been resolved. :)

My '87 Ranger Super is having some ... issues, each of which I seem to be knocking out one at a time as I can afford it. The current problem? Well, let's see if I can describe it.

When the truck gets hot, and seemingly only when driving around town, I have problems with the engine losing power. First, it sputters a little when you step on the gas... and as it progresses, it begins to chug and sound like a diesel, the truck violently vibrates, then it clears up for a second, then it starts losing power any time you step on the gas.

Before I replaced the ICM (TFI, as the article here called it), it would die completely and I'd have to wait anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes before it'd even start again.

I noticed another symptom when I went under the hood... every time, the fuel seemed to be coming out of the bleeder valve in spurts - it doesn't do this when the engine is running normally. After I first start it or have waited to be able to start it again, the fuel flows freely from the bleeder valve.

It's my understanding the fuel-injected engines don't vapor-lock, so I haven't tried the clothes pin method yet. I've also had the entire fuel system from the gas tank to the intake replaced (including filter)... however, it may also have a bit of bad gas in it that I used a stabilizer in to make sure it was at least more readily spent.

Spark plugs are clean, distributor and rotor are in good shape, and it's got a brand new ICM/TFI in it, wall-mounted. What could be going on?

Last edited:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
First and foremost, welcome to TRS. Enjoy our little slice of Ranger heaven on the internet.

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic

jhammel85

Did you say that the schrader valve on the fuel rail is leaking? As in when you aren't touching it, its leaking? If so, it might need to be tightened if it's anything like the valves on a tire.

You can get something called a Schrader Air Valve Tool that you use to screw the core back into place. Here is one of those tools. I'm sure you can make one at home with an old screwdriver and a grinder :D

http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-AirAware-20141-Valve-Torque/dp/B002GZ20VE

That could be part of the problem but maybe not all. After that's in order, I would check the engine for codes. We have a how to in our Library.

jhammel85

Another thing to consider might be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Check the fuel pressure and check the vac line from the back to see if it's leaking. Fuel pressure should be 35-40 running and a little below with the engine off after running.

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
No, no... the valve is fine - that's how I was checking to see if fuel was making it to the engine. Sorry about the confusion.

I went ahead and bought both fuel filters yesterday and will be putting them in today... it couldn't hurt, and a part of me wants to suspect them as the problem, considering it does actually have both filters.

The regulator has its vacuum line attached and in good shape, and there's definitely suction. I do not, however, have the tools to check the fuel pressure. Is this something I can get tested at, say, an AutoZone, NAPA or O'reily's parts store?

jhammel85

Ah, gotcha on the valve..I kinda thought that would be odd but hey...Stranger things have happened!

As far as checking the pressure, I don't think they do it. However, I bet you can "rent" one of their pressure testers. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying one of those gauges.

As far as changing those filters, I can't blame you with that. Afterall..That's just regular maintenance. I need to do my filter before the HP fuel pump.

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I guess I'll find out here in a few whether the new filters will do it. Time to go put'em in.

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Ah... joy. I pulled the cartridge filter off the frame to have a look at it, just out of curiosity, and found that the part that bolts to said frame (the cap, where the fuel lines connect) has a couple of what look like valves in it that are just floating around loose inside, and I can't get to them.

So it would seem I need to replace the filter housing...

Calgathius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The Ranger is Back in Action!

Oh, YEAH! I laid a strip that was at least 30 feet long on the pavement earlier, just trying to find out if I've thoroughly fixed the problem. I rode it around town and intentionally took it into traffic to make sure it got good and hot, then I took it out on the dirt roads and played around back there for a while, and by the time I got back to my neighborhood, the truck had gone above the temperature it had failed at before.

As I was pulling back onto the pavement, I stopped, got out and made sure the tires were in good enough shape, then got back in, started right up and left that 30-foot strip just to see if I could open it up all the way without it losing power, and it shrugged it off just like it did before all the problems started.

It would seem that when we put the new fuel pumps in and neglected to get a new fuel filter housing, the high pressure going through the old parts just.. broke it. I'm beginning to think I can fix anything... rockin'! :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals