• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Long first post, sorry.

skinsfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1999 Ranger reg cab 4x4, AT, 6 cyl. I have a rumbling noise in the front end. Makes a sound like knobby snow tires at highway speed. However, makes this noise starting at 10 mph and gets worse with more speed. Seems worse on drivers side. Might be because that's where I sit? Ha. We had 17'' of snow a couple weeks ago and I used the 4WD for a few days. Seems like it's been making the noise since then. When I went back to 2wd, I did the old put it in reverse trick(whether you need to or not). So here are the dumb questions.
1. Could this be wind up pressure on Tcase or pressure on something else?
2. Wheel bearings? Maybe? Pouring rain right now, when it stops I'll jack it up and tug on tire.
3. Any other thing that I should be looking for?
Did not have this noise before the storm. Seem's like a huge coinsidence for bearings or CV joints to go bad right after I used 4WD. Coinsidences do happen. Thanks in advance!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd be looking at bearings and hubs.

skinsfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I will start there.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You shouldnt need to jack it up to check bearings just grab the top of the tire and push and pull real hard on the tire. Have you tried locking the hubs and shift into 4 wheel and see if the noise goes away?

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd jack it up- you won't have to push it so hard And then you can watch it too and see where the slop is.

Also, I had a growling rear ended in my jeep. I change carrier bearings and Alec bearings and it persisted. Then I figured out it was an old dry ujoint on the driveshaft. It wasn't even sloppy, but it was noisey. You have 3 on your front driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine was on decel too, not all the time. Usually wheel bearing will get louder or quieter when you swerve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You shouldnt need to jack it up to check bearings just grab the top of the tire and push and pull real hard on the tire. Have you tried locking the hubs and shift into 4 wheel and see if the noise goes away?
Doesn't really work with truck tires, or car tires. Have to get it off the ground.

He probably also has PVH hubs, so they don't lock on command.

However, if you want to attempt to check for bearing play with the wheels on the ground...you have to put your shoulder into the body and shove. Will only tell you if there is a bearing so off, that your wheel is going to fall off. lol

skinsfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
As jeremysdad suggested, I have the pvh hubs. I put it 4HI and the sound instantly went away. When I switched back to 2WD, the sound stays gone. For a while. The noise comes back after driving a few miles around town. Not sure exactly what that means? I have read thru the tech section and old threads and am starting to gain an understanding of how the system works. Sorta.

BTW I jacked it up and bearings seem ok. I found an empty parking lot and drove thru in a sepetine manner and no change in sound.

Also, thanks to everyone for their help and advice!

skinsfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just wanted to ask again. Does anyone know what this means? Rumbling noise in front end (drivers side)goes away when I switch to 4WD. After switching back to 2WD Noise returns short time later. Seems like kimcrwbr1 might know what it is. Any ideas?

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not knowledgable with the newer style hubs, or the old ones either lol. But if it was me I'd start at the hubs. Look at a manual to get an idea of how they work, then take one off and confirm all the parts are in working order. Then do the other side. I think you would be able to do this with basic hand tools and maybe some snap ring pliers. BUT I've never done them, and it's easy from this side of the keyboard.
Good luck,

Richard

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Just for grins, open the fill hole and check the lube .:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals