• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ranger performance

bstanton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
hi, im new to the forum, and the whole ford thing in general. im got my hands on a 94 ranger 4x4 extended cab 4.0l.

I plan on mudding in it alot as im from iowa and its kinda what us kids do for fun. ha

Im 19 and went to UTI in chicago, ill for auto. finished in january and im just looking to spend my money. haha.

But im looking for a little more performance out of my v6 because its kind of doggy. I looked on the sct website, and they dont have a programmer for that old of truck so im not real sure wear to start besides a intake and exhaust. so any suggestions would be much appricated.

Thanks guys!

nine-teen91stxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1977
Make / Model
Ford, Ford
Engine Size
245 cid of fury, 6.6l
Transmission
Manual
intakes are pointless on a 4.0, do a snorkel if you plan on mudding alot.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
regular maitnance will gain you more than pretty much any "bolt on" Part. Supercharger or 5.0 is the way to go. Welcome to TRS BTW, good to see another Iowan on here!!!

bstanton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Can I retain the 4x4 putting in a 5.0l? Supercharger is a little above my price range. Lol I said I got some money sitting around not a bank account full of it ha! But they don't have any tuners or anything for the older 4.0? Because I can end up tunning the thing myself and I tuned the farm duramax and my "race car", but im just wondering if things like a intake and exhaust and maybe some cams with a tune or lighter underdrive pulls or even a intake plenum is possible.?

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Your best bet has already been stated: the 4.0L OHV doesnt have a lot of options in the way of power adders.

I have just bought headers, y pipe, and another piece for my exhjaust to make it breath easier. A port and polish n your heads is free and will also help. It's just time consuming and laborious. The other thing is regular maintenance. These 4.0L HATE dirty oil. You get valve tapping if you dont keep her filled & cleaned.

The other options are supercharging or turboing your truck. Again, few companies offer these kits anymore, and when you find them, they are expensive. If anything, get yourself an air intake for a different sound and call it a day. You dont gain anything from those filter tubes.

Lastly, many people have swapped 5.0's into their 2WD Rangers, and some have done it in their 4WD Rangers. You need special headers (Tri-Y is a good brand), you may need to notch your passenger frame rail for clearance, you will have major issues getting the driveshaft, steering and exhaust to fit on the drivers side, and it will take you a few weeks to complete if youre diligent. You will also need to get a special adapter from Advance Adapters to mate the motor wityh the tranny, or you will need to relocate your transfer case and tranny crossmember if you use the whole drivetrain from an F150. Clearance issues are had with the new transfer case, too.

Use foxbody convertible motor mounts for the new 5.0, and reverse them to fit in the Ranger frame. Perfect fit.

Quick summary.

Oh, and use the SEARCH BUTTON to find more answers. Dont make another thread from now on.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals