• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help on drls

97malibu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 93 ranger xlt i want to make it have drls i know canada model has it but mine is us version help please

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think 1993 and up Rangers were pre-wired for DRL, regardless of US/Canada destination

Look behind drivers side head light or both sides rad support on drivers side for the connector for the DRL Relay, it may have a shorting bar in it instead of a relay plugged into it

If it can't be found then you can add DRL with two 30amp/12volt relays and some fuses.

Early 1990's wiring diagram here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Headlights_1990andlater.JPG

Look for those wire colors, Pink and Red/black stripe

EDIT, read this thread: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30733

Last edited:

97malibu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
tor Thank no drl module found on radiator support only thing on radiator support tfi module for distributor

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
DRL module wouldn't be there, or you would have DRL, just the plug-in for it should be there.

Find the wire colors in the diagram, low beam wire specifically, Red with black stripe, thats the wire you will need to use if you add your own relays, but it will also run thru DRL connector if it is there

Last edited:

97malibu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
drl relay uses red with blk wire but what for ign power 12v power headlight signal wire ground wire etc its 8 pin connector but only use 7 pin

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure how Ford wired DRL module.

To add your own, google: automotive relay numbering
You want to use 5 pin relays
87A

Basically you cut the Red/Black wire and run it to Relay 1 12volt 30amp
This is Relay 1
The light switch side of wire goes to 87 AND 86
Head light side of wire goes to 30
85 is grounded

Relay 2
30 goes to battery power and has inline 30amp fuse
86 goes to KEY ON power, like fuel injector or Coil pack
85 is a Ground
87 is a wire to Relay 1 87A

When head light switch is OFF there is no 12volts at relay 1 87 or 86 so it is OFF, and pins 87A and 30 are connected inside the relay

When you turn on the key Relay 2 will close and send 12volts via the fuse to 30 and thru to 87, then to 87A on Relay 1, which will send 12volts thru to 30 and head lights are on.

When you turn on the head light switch Relay 2 power is cut(87A in relay 1) and light switch power goes to 87 and to 30(relay 1) and the head lights.

In my '94 manual trans the DRL is triggered by e-brake switch, when e-brake is on DRL is off, when I release the brake DRL comes on.
You can do similar with Relay 2, using transmission switch or e-brake switch, so DRL is not on just with the key, trans would also need to be in gear or e-brake off

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals