• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ford Ranger Blower Motor Relay Location?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am having issues with my 91 ranger's ac. There is no power at the plug for the blower motor or resistor. There is power at the fan switch on the panel. If I put my ohm meter from the blower motor to the fan switch I get a positive reading so that tells me everything in that circuit is good. Anyways is there another blower relay located somewhere on the truck that I could check? I know I read somewhere that there isn't a relay from like 83-90 but I am not sure about 91. I have checked all of the fuses and everything is good so I can't figure out why there isn't power going from in the cab to under the hood. I also used the ohm meter to check the fan switch just in case it wasn't relaying the circuit and the switch came back functional. Any ideas where an issue could be? Everything seems good but I can't follow the wiring harness very far.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
behind the passenger side headlight, check out the tech library.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I checked for the relay and I guess my truck doesn't have one. So I am back to the drawing board on why I don't have power at the blower motor.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, power to the switch should tell you that the problem isn't with a relay, if it has one.

Power into the switch also rules out fuses and a number of wiring issues.

But you say you don't have power after the switch.

Hmm. Sounds simple to me.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
...wiring is hard for me so I'm not an expert by any means...as a matter of fact, I'm less than a novice!

I ordered one from RockAuto and replaced mine (it worked on high only but no other setting)...I think I paid $12 with shipping...may be worth looking into as the resistor could be bad...if not, you've got a wire issue...and that my friend is no fun (if you jiggle it, does it come on at all - the wires - move them around to see if you can get a contact but my bet is still the resistor)...good luck!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
...wiring is hard for me so I'm not an expert by any means...as a matter of fact, I'm less than a novice!

I ordered one from RockAuto and replaced mine (it worked on high only but no other setting)...I think I paid $12 with shipping...may be worth looking into as the resistor could be bad...if not, you've got a wire issue...and that my friend is no fun (if you jiggle it, does it come on at all - the wires - move them around to see if you can get a contact but my bet is still the resistor)...good luck!
If the resistor isnt getting power then it probably isnt the problem.

Think about electrical stuff like a road with a bunch of bridges along it. Each switch is a bridge. If something doesn't work you find the last place the power can get to and that is where the bridge is out.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If the resistor isnt getting power then it probably isnt the problem.

Think about electrical stuff like a road with a bunch of bridges along it. Each switch is a bridge. If something doesn't work you find the last place the power can get to and that is where the bridge is out.

Postin' from teh Galaxy
Yeah I went back and forth on whether the switch was bad or not. I put my ohm meter on the switch and there is a good current through the switch. I guess I could go to the parts yard and try and get one. I know new this thing runs $100 and that is why I was trying to avoid buying one. I guess this pay day I can run to the junk yard and snatch one off and get a compressor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals