• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

01 Ranger wont shift going up hills.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, kind of troubleshooting a problem my brother has been having with his truck. He's convinced that it's his transmission, but I don't agree. I haven't taken it out for a spin because I've been so busy but it's sitting in my backyard and he's driving my XJ :annoyed: until he finds another vehicle.

Basically from what he's told me, it wont shift up steep hills. I take this as a loss of power. I asked him if it shifts fine on flat roads (very hard to find around here) and he said he thought it did.

I'm wondering if maybe a clogged cat would cause this? Or possibly something else. TPS... bad cylinder.. something like that. I'll know more tomorrow after I take her out for a spin, and as I collect more information off from him on it.

Truck is a 2001 Ranger Edge with the 3.0/auto/4x4 combo. It does have a bad head gasket, which is why he's not looking to take it to a shop.

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, took her for a spin. Something's definitely sucking away the power from that three liter. Then again the 3.0 doesn't exactly produce much. It did start slipping once it warmed up though.

Looks like it's next destination is a scrap yard. Since it's already parked at my place I think I'll just pay him scrap price for it. That way he wont get ripped off by some scrapper out there. Plus, that rear axle would look mighttttyyyy fine under my Ranger until I finish my explorer 8.8 swap.

He's looking at a 2nd gen tomorrow, seems promising.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals