• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unsafe??

Memphis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a '94 with 4cyl, 5spd, 2wd. I am thinking about buying a small fold down camper to restore. It is an old one and weighs 700 pounds with a tongue weight of 75 pounds. This is what the old ad from 1962 says, anyway. This just came up so I haven't really had time to prepare and all I have is the bumper hitch. I don't like that because I think the trailer won't be level. I won't know till I drive the 100 miles one way to see.
Am I asking for trouble here? Will this be safe? I have pulled a small camper before, but that was with a bigger vehicle of another brand. I think this Ranger may be a whole different adventure! How would I shift any differently?
Thanks,Scott

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
100 miles? i'd do it. i had a client about a year back that wanted me to remove the sidewalk going to the front door of their house. it was about 3k pounds altogether, maybe a little less. it took 2 trips to the dump, hauling probably 1k pounds in the trailer and all i had was the bumper mounted hitch. now, yes, i wasnt going 100 miles and my ex has a 4.0, but it's still a bumper mounted trailer ball.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
should be fine, for shifting, you'll probably find that you have to stay in a gear a bit longer before you upshift, and maybe brake a little sooner

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
That should be plenty safe. The tag on my bumper says it can tow 2,000 lbs, with 200 lbs tongue weight. I would imagine your bumper is the same, or at least extremely similar.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The unsafe part (at highway speeds and distance) is if the trailer is heavier than the rear of the truck. Too much trailer weight (as opposed to axle weight) and the trailer will push you. You always want weight in the truck bed (over the axle) to control the trailer. Even in commercial hauling, weight is preferred over the drive axle as opposed to being on the back end of of the truck. It gives more control.

The truck can handle much more than 2000lbs on a trailer if there is weight in the truck. Add some weight (200lbs or so) to the truck bed, preferably something that doesn't move around and it will pull like a dream.

On a 700lb trailer, allow a minimum of 150% of normal braking distance until you are sure of (A) how it will stop, and (B) the condition of your brakes. When you attempt to stop the tongue will push up if it is more than a 20 degree upward slant. Be aware of it. Unless this is a car trailer design, the tongue probably wont be an issue.

If you are aware of the issues, you will have no problems. Take it slow(er) until you know how the truck will drive.

Memphis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I feel a little better about this, but what concerns me is it's almost impossible (unless I can't drive) to get this truck moving, even unloaded, while stopped on a hill or at a stop light unless I wind it up tight first or slip the clutch a lot. It concerns me. Maybe that's normal for these trucks? I'm afraid if I had to stop on an incline with the trailer I'd have to have someone pull me up the hill!
Am I worried for nothing? Thanks,Scott

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I pulled a 2 place snowmobile trailer with two sleds on it (approx. 2200 lbs) around town with my old 94 2.3 5 speed 3.45 gears with really no issues taking off from a stop. Stopping was a whole other story but your truck shouldnt have any problems. The thing is, with these 4 cylinder Rangers you cant drive them like a manual trans V8, they just dont have the torque on the bottom end to do it. If you want to haul a load with these trucks you have to get used to working the clutch. Now, my '02 4.0 5 speed would pull a 700 lb. load and laugh at it while doing it. It's just a characteristic of pulling with a 4 banger.

Memphis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just worry about these things. I don't want to tear up my truck for a $100 fixer-upper camper!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
your truck should handle it just fine. i have the same rear gears and stock size tires and i've hauled 1600lbs before with no issues. starting on a steep hill is going to hurt though. a light slope isn't too bad, but i usually just wait at the bottom till the light turns green or come up to it still rolling

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it seems you are planning on keeping this little camper for some time, so i'd suggest doing a rear axle gear swap to get the pulling power you need for you 4 banger. don't know what gears you have now, but i'd suggest 3.73 as a minimum and 4.10 if you plan on towing it frequently. also, it will help to get a frame mounted receiver hitch for your truck as well. safer and more solid towing with a frame hitch.
just a thought or two.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A new clutch might help more than you think, if yours is old. A new clutch will have a more precise feel and let you get it up quicker. I think that trailer is within your trucks normal capacity.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals