• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need question answered about 94/95 Ranger steering wheel ASAP

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,

I have an appointment coming up a week from Saturday to get the door and ignition lock cylinders changed out, the drivers side door cylinder has never worked and the ignition cylinder is so sloppy its not even funny.

Anyway, when the guy told me he had to pull the steering wheel to change the ignition cylinder I figured that would be a perfect time to have my Grant Formula 1 ( PN 1066) steering wheel installed that I took off my now junked 92.

Here's the rub. The truck is titled and tagged as a 1994, and the VIN comes back to a 1994, but I've discovered several 1995 features since I bought it last May. Which leads me to believe it was a VERY late 94 production. Its got the 1995 dash and instrument cluster layout, 1995 grill and 1994 front brake rotors did NOT fit when we did them, but 1995 brake rotors DID. I've heard from several people that Ford is well known for making such mid year production changes sooooo....

1995 was the first year for drivers side airbag in rangers, yes mine has one. (Another clue its a 1995) When I called Grant to order a new install kit, he said they didnt offer one because of the airbag issue and that Ford MAY have made some changes to the steering wheel shaft to accommodate the airbag. He gave me the PN
s for a 1994 Ranger, but wouldnt promise they would be correct.

Im hoping someone has run into this before and can offer some advice or can tell me if the steering wheel shaft IS different than on a 1994 or offer an alternative Grant Install Kit part number that they have used to install a wheel on a 95 to 97 Ranger.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
According to a stamp on the radiator support , the Rat has a build date of Feb 94 It is in yellow ink

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
According to a stamp on the radiator support , the Rat has a build date of Feb 94 It is in yellow ink
Ok, but what is this information supposed to tell ME ? I dont have any idea what "the rat" is

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
The "Rat" would by Andy D's 94 Ranger. so you might get an idea of when the actual manufacturing date of your 94 by looking at your radiator support for a date stamp. If I recall, there is a metal plate stapled to the radiator support just behind the grille/ drivers headlight area... maybe this is what Andy is referring to.

since you have the new style dash, I am assuming that your steering wheel from the 92 will not work with your Ranger. You might be able to cobble it on somehow, but you will be losing your airbag if you do.

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals