• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 5.0L has a miss

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
That is true, but then why is it chuggin only at certain RPM's or in certain gears?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lean code can come from the miss fire, non-firing cylinder is pumping air out the exhaust valve not burnt fuel/air.

Just as a test of the coils and waste spark you could try reversing the wires on the coil, not sure it will be helpful but it is free to try :)
Should be wired like this now:
[4 7 ] [3 5]
[8 2 ] [6 1]
Front

Try:
[7 4] [5 3]
[2 8] [1 6]
Front

Because waste spark uses series wiring one of the two spark plugs will have a reverse spark, slightly weaker, and more effected if coil is going bad.
If reversing the wires switches miss(and lean code) to Bank 2 then you will know it is a coil issue.
This wouldn't mean both coils are good, it just "may" show one is bad.

You never answered if you have an EGR system?
EGR is only used under load, you describe first having symptoms when starting to put load on the engine, EGR system may be flooding intake with exhaust gas instead of just adding just a little, causing the bogging and miss fires(lean code), when higher rpm is reached EGR flow would be correct for that air flow.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
yes I do have an EGR system and the same weekend i put in new spark plugs i put in the exhaust manifold gaskets.

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
ok update here guys....went out to my local junkyard an got a couple coils and put them on my truck.....still no change. At idle she pretty well sounds like she is running smooth, maybe just a hint of a miss. Start going down the road and right around 48-50 MPH clear threw 55 MPH she chugs and the miss is very noticeable, after 55 she smooths out again.

Right around 53-55 is when she hits overdrive. Still working on tryin to find some MAP sensor cleaner, my cousin is suppose to have some. But other than that I am still at a loss for the most part what is up here other than a dead injector. So any other ideas?

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will get spanked for this but you can use brake or electronic parts cleaner sparingly to clean that MAF sensor up. I've done it without issue many times on different vehicles through the years. I'm sure the MAF cleaner is safer for the sensor though.

Last edited:

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
idk bout using either of those i think i will just use the MAF cleaner....having enough troubles with it without having to have to buy a 167 dollar Mass Airflow Sensor

Derrick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Triton V10
Transmission
Automatic
Update to my miss problem. Went out and got a couple coils and replaced mine to no avail. It is still doing the same thing it was before. Tomorrow I am going out and pulling the upper intake off so I can replace my PCV valve and check the rest of the vacuum lines I can't see with it in the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals