• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0/4WD Swap 98 Ranger "Rusty"

Naterenfo1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD!
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Hello! My name is Nate, and this is my build thread.

1998 Ranger, XLT, 4.0L, 2wd, 5r55e, 8.8 (3.73).

First off: I know what your thinking! Why is this guy trying to 4wd swap a 2wd ranger instead of buying one?!
-This was my Grandpa's truck, so the truck holds sentimental value.

Secondly: Why the swap?!
-I roasted the trans, and the GF cooked the motor after a coolant leak.

Plans: 5.0/4r70w 2200stall conv, NP205, radius arm D30/welded 8.8 rear.

Now what you have all been waiting for... THE PICS.

Found a 1998 Merc mountaineer minus the rear end for $300

Pulled motor/trans/tcase 5.0L, 4r70W, and whatever the stupid AWD tcase is

Loaded up

Disassembled

Cylinder walls look pretty good for 312,000 miles!

Sent the block off! Bored .030" over, GT40P's got new valves, dual springs, hardened pushrods, ported, Forged AL pistons, ARP rod bolts, ARP headstuds, mild Comp cam. This is a shot of the block coming home

Time to pull this POS

Found some new friends in the airbox

Had some extra off-road lights sitting around, damn they came in handy!!

Got her out

Brown Santa stopped by.

Comp stickers add at least 50 HP each.

Shortblock timed, ARP's getting installed.

Long block assembled.

Shot her with some ford blue. Valve covers are coming off to get cleaned/painted.

Thats how far I am currently! Stay tuned for updates. :beer:
-Nate

oddball101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, don't forget about posting up here! I saw your thread over on pirate4x4 and wanted to see what progress you made with the headers. I am still in search of alternatives outside of TM's that will work and the patriot try Y's look to work with modification.. So please let me know what mods you are performing to do so. Keep us updated and good luck!

**Edit

-Something to think about is relocating the steering shaft. There is a straight forward mod approach for this that I have seen a 4.6 mod motor swapper do for clearance and it worked for him using mostly stock parts and a couple custom AN fittings on the steering rack.. not sure if those would be necessary for our application. If you are interested, I can see if I can find that old thread to post here. I have also heard of people getting Ford racing gt40p short headers to work using a half inch spacer on the driver side. Another option for the shorties is to cut and use the flange from stock headers as a spacer.

-Is your 98 a torsion bar ranger? I see stock motor mounts being used for your application on the other site (because you hate us over here and don't want to post the header pics, ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals