• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why not use sport Trac calipers for sport tack rotor swap?

mr.tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thread title says it all. If going to the trouble of making brackets why wouldn't a person just go ahead and use the sport trac calipers or lincoln aviator calipers, or some wilwoods for that matter? The aviator's would work, i believe, only the holes are spaced 4&7/8 apart and they are beefy. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on some Sport Trac calipers, but why not use them?

I've seen demonstrations of large rotors with stock calipers overlayed and there's definitely a little bit of a mismatch. I'm sure that the stock 95 to 97 calipers would still brake better on sport trac rotors than they would on stock rotors but wouldn't the sport trac calipers make more sense?

It's entirely possible that I'm missing something obvious, it's happened before, but I haven't read anywhere a compelling reason not to use Sport Trac calipers with the st rotor conversion.

Ftr, I had a long introductory post with pictures of my ride and everything I've done to it but it logged me out automatically and when I hit submit it it was gone and the back button didn't help. I had intended to ask this question in that post.

Cheers!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS.

I can't help on your main question, I don't have experience. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in.

On the disappearing post, use the "go advanced" button and write your answer there. That will save your response so you can get back to it in most cases.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I would think if you did rotors, you had to do calipers. Since the caliper cradles the rotor, the rotor has to fit in the caliper so I don't see how the smaller calipers built for a smaller rotor would fit over the larger rotor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I was to try it, that would be the first thing I would try. Since it seems that nobody is trying it by now my gut says there is something about it that won't work. In '04 the ST changed a lot and the front suspension had already changed a lot since the TIB/TTB days, it is a miracle that the bolt pattern and rotor offset stayed the same really.

For those (like me initially) who have no idea what is being discussed:

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/wheels_and_brakes/sport-trac-12-inch-rotor-upgrade-for-your-2wd-ford-ranger/

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If I was to try it, that would be the first thing I would try. Since it seems that nobody is trying it by now my gut says there is something about it that won't work. In '04 the ST changed a lot and the front suspension had already changed a lot since the TIB/TTB days, it is a miracle that the bolt pattern and rotor offset stayed the same really.

For those (like me initially) who have no idea what is being discussed:

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/wheels_and_brakes/sport-trac-12-inch-rotor-upgrade-for-your-2wd-ford-ranger/
To add to that, the Aviator swap would require at least a 17'' wheel based on this thread (granted this applies to the 02-05 Explorers) and in that application you'd have to swap the whole steering knuckle: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/explorer-to-aviator-front-brake-upgrade.391752/#post-3258903

While I didn't see your initial thread I'd imagine by your post you have a 4x4 TTB truck and aside from the ST braking components at a minimum you'd need to fabricate similar brackets to what 85_Ranger4x4's link mentions and most likely use 16" wheels if you don't already have them.

I'd imagine the swap from a 04 ST to a torsion bar Ranger 98-11 (I believe the later trucks already had this upgrade) would be likely a bolt-on swap from the knuckle out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals